Sign in to follow this  
e30david

10 year old cambelt

Just a follow-up to my New Member post a couple of weeks ago.

When I bought my 1983 320i the previous owner said he had not changed the cambelt in the 10 years he had had the car because he had only done 70,000kms in that time.

So I got the cambelt/tensioner/waterpump replaced last week and my mechanic and I had a look at the old cambelt. It was hard to tell it from the new one we put in - no stretching or any signs of wear.

Mark, my mechanic, told me it was probably because it had not done many k's in that time.

Is 10 years a record of some sort for not changing a cambelt (and getting away with it)?

Probabaly not.

I did the belt & tensioner on our E12 when we got the car - about 16 yrs ago.

I checked it a couple of years back & it looked as new too. That said - the car has only done about 35K in the time we have had it. If it had shown any sign of fatigue - I certainly would have replaced it.

If you push the limits too far....you could end up paying the price

BMW recommends Cambelt replacement every 5 years or 60k for M20 & 40k for M40 whichever occurs first.

If you push the limits too far....you could end up paying the price

BMW recommends Cambelt replacement every 5 years or 60k for M20 & 40k for M40 whichever occurs first.

Totally agree Glenn. I should also practice what I preach. That said though - in my case the belt did look & feel as new. Close inspection & absolutely no sign of degradation.

Certainly wouldn't tempt ANY fate with the race car though :P

Edit: My "probably not" remark was aimed at all the cars I have seen through work over the years that have done mega km's 10yrs + & never seen a belt replacement. a percentage of these ending in tears. Owners oblivious to the situation

Edited by hotwire