Sign in to follow this  
super///m635csi

M635csi auto to man convertion

Hope this hasnt been coverd allready on here!

As the title sergest's, I am planing on changeing my auto m635csi to a 5speed getrag 260/6 man, box. Still gathering all the parts Im going to need at this stage. Sofar I have the box, box subframe, shifter linkage, shaged old clutch and flywheel. The flywheel I have is a duel mass voith, Should I be going for a duel mass or a solid one? I gess I should say now that Im planing on turboing the car once gearbox convertion is done so need clutch and other parts that will stand up to this. Im still looking for drive sharft, would like to find one from a 6er but was told one from an E28 may fit? Need a LSD diff. Anyone know what ratios I should go for, was told 3.25? Need a pedel box aswell, told one from a E28 may work?

Any help / advice with finding parts and doing the convertion would be MUCH appreseated.

Cheers, Adam.

post-6085-1281661806.jpg

post-6085-1281661821.jpg

post-6085-1281661844.jpg

post-6085-1281661875.jpg

Go single mass, less weight to throw around, so will rev better. May have pedalbox from a 6 series here somewhere, will let you know. What ratio is the diff at the moment, and is it 6 bolt side covers ie med case? If so, you'd find it cheaper to fit a lsd centre, can help here also. Neat project.

Cheers Dave!

The diff in there is 3.46 and is med case / has the 6bolt side cover, only a single spiner though.

Was thinking single mass flywheel to. I have a duel mass if anyone needs one, swap for single would be nice!

A pedalbox would be fantastic if you have one there!

Cheers.

Is it the standard 5 speed overdrive getrag box? If so, personally I doubt you'd want to go any higher than the 3.45, and probably would be better with a 3.64. 3.25 with an overdrive box will be fairly sluggish down low, I run a 4.10 in my E28 with the same box and engine.

Yup, standard getrag 5speed overdrive box, Thats good to know, so all I have to do is put a LSD center in there?

Found this, in mph though.

post-6085-1281668493.jpg

That's right, I'd just be putting a lsd centre in my diff if I was you. That chart shows about 2200 revs at 100ks in 5th, that's real cruise mode, The idea of a manual box is to create some zip and acceleration? 3.45 will have you at about 2500 at 100kph, more than acceptable I would have thought?

That's right, I'd just be putting a lsd centre in my diff if I was you. That chart shows about 2200 revs at 100ks in 5th, that's real cruise mode, The idea of a manual box is to create some zip and acceleration? 3.45 will have you at about 2500 at 100kph, more than acceptable I would have thought?

+1... and throw the dual mass in the rubbish bin. It's probably knackered anyway and no one in their right mind would want it.

if the plan is to turbo it at a later stage,i would keep the 3.25,maybe go down to 3.15.

yes it wont fly off the mark,but with stacks of extra torque-more then adequate to get off the line

or to get into trouble

alittle more to think about.

as for the dual mass flywheel.they do repair them/probably not worth it

i have a e28 pedal box , and maybe a e28 driveshaft if marty hasn't used it already in his e28 race car

also its a 635csi ,

a m635csi uses the M-power twincam engine .

if you want to do any track work ,

look for around 3.73 etc . or for cruising 3.07 to 3.45 etc

you can get those medium case gears out of a e30 or e36 325i auto diff etc and then fit them into your diff case with a lsd pack at the same time.

yes ditch the dual mass flywheel .

you will also need to drill and tap the holes in the gearbox for the 2 crank sensors that mount into the front of the gearbox at least your box has the ali casting to drill into .

good luck with the project .

ps just remembered your car is a lhd , they use a different pedal box to rhd , but maybe you can use some of the parts from a rhd . but you might have to buy a new master cylinder and maybe some other bits

was wondering about these crank sensors, has anyone got any drawings on how this should be done?

Will start off with the 3.46 and put in the LSD pack, thats not to much of a big one to change later. I read on a US website that the e28 drivesharft would work, anyone know if this is corect? Might just go to ADL and get one made, could be easer.

I thourght it was the M6 with the 24v head? Wish I had that!

Cheers again for all the info!

was wondering about these crank sensors, has anyone got any drawings on how this should be done?

Will start off with the 3.46 and put in the LSD pack, thats not to much of a big one to change later. I read on a US website that the e28 drivesharft would work, anyone know if this is corect? Might just go to ADL and get one made, could be easer.

I thourght it was the M6 with the 24v head? Wish I had that!

Cheers again for all the info!

M6 - US market version, S38 engine w/cats, boulevard cruiser suspension.

M635Csi - Euro market, M88 engine, more power and more sporting suspension.

Shwweet car BTW, that engine bay looks like new.

Ive been a 6 series fan since I was about 5 and a relative owned one (I guess it was new then), its on my list of "dream cars" B)

i got robie at baverian motors to drill my one out . he just did it by hand with air powered drills etc , they have done a few of them over the years .

I've got a spare m88 engine laying about if you want a bit more power :rolleyes:

post-279-1281700783.jpg

i have a e28 pedal box , and maybe a e28 driveshaft if marty hasn't used it already in his e28 race car

you will also need to drill and tap the holes in the gearbox for the 2 crank sensors that mount into the front of the gearbox at least your box has the ali casting to drill into .

good luck with the project .

sorry,i've stolen the driveshaft.

you could retro-fit a e34/e32 loom and front harmonic hub.its tidyer

Nice ^_^ whats the story with that, what box is on it? Would need a lot more work and freight to turbo this I am gessing.

Mine is a Japan new car so im gessing it will be closer to a Euro spec car? Has the harder suspension and no cat.

Cheers for the advice with the crank sensor, was a tad confeused about that one. So im looking for an early e28 solid mass flywheel and a pedal box at the mo, going to be out your way monday so might swing by.

Cheers.

Nice ^_^ whats the story with that, what box is on it? Would need a lot more work and freight to turbo this I am gessing.

Mine is a Japan new car so im gessing it will be closer to a Euro spec car? Has the harder suspension and no cat.

Cheers for the advice with the crank sensor, was a tad confeused about that one. So im looking for an early e28 solid mass flywheel and a pedal box at the mo, going to be out your way monday so might swing by.

Cheers.

remember its a lhd , so pedal boxes are different