Sign in to follow this  
sammcj2000

Need help in CHCH with M52B28 M50 Intake Mod Plus Heater Piping

I posted this in maintenance but haven found anyone in CHCH so I thought I'd try my luck here:

I'm having a few issues with my M50 intake conversion on my 96' 328i that I'm pretty sure wasn't setup correctly.

Anyone in CHCH that's pretty good with the E36 intake / vacuum system able to take a look for me?

The other issue is I have is a water / heating tap has broken off inside a hose and will need a new one installed / re-tapped. -> http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=31533

Happy to pay $$ or buy beers / I'm a computer technician so could trade you some computer servicing / skills and I have a full working GT1 / DIS computer that I can connect up to your OBDI/II car for diagnostics / software update.

Edited by sammcj

Are you doing a before and after Dyno or relying on subjective assessment?

Not a performance issue, I'm pretty sure the piping is setup incorrectly and sucking oil off the crank case / somewhere else.

Has Tony (Westy) got any photos of how he did his vent system ???

BTW: you will need a new heater tap....you can't tap it out

Edited by *Glenn*

Has Tony (Westy) got any photos of how he did his vent system ???

BTW: you will need a new heater tap....you can't tap it out

Yeah there are a few pics of the hosing setup you can buy but it's not much help as mine seems to be setup pretty differently (maybe not in direction but where things are) it's a bit over my head TBH.

Ah, how hard is it to install those? Do they screw in or what?

Cheers Glenn - you're the man.

This is the only usefull photo I could find.

Posted Image

No point in taking a photo of mine since it's all hidden under the manifold and I didn't take any pics while installing.

Edited by westy

I'm hoping to get my manifold off tomorrow evening and I'll draw a diagram / photograph it and let you know.

When I had a look last night (as best I could with a torch!) I could see it was looking quite oily under the manifold around the CCV etc...

The CCV might be knackered as well...fit a new one. This could also account for your idle issue.

Edited by *Glenn*

The CCV might be knackered as well...fit a new one. This could also account for your idle issue.

Really? The idle as well? interesting...

OK I'll pop down to Eurowrec at lunch and grab a replacement CCV I'll also ask them about taps...

Really? The idle as well? interesting...

OK I'll pop down to Eurowrec at lunch and grab a replacement CCV I'll also ask them about taps...

I'd suggest using new...both these items give trouble

I'd suggest using new...both these items give trouble

OK got a replacement CCV.

Also, those heater pipes look pretty damn easy!

It's one whole complete unit of the 3 pipes that bolt back into the firewall.

I'll have to try and take some time off work and nudge the dead beast into the garage and start pulling things to bits.

I'll label everything so hopefully I don't have (m)any issues putting it back together.

post-1812-1282084034.jpg

Edited by sammcj

OK got a replacement CCV.

Also, those heater pipes look pretty damn easy!

It's one whole complete unit of the 3 pipes that bolt back into the firewall.

I'll have to try and take some time off work and nudge the dead beast into the garage and start pulling things to bits.

I'll label everything so hopefully I don't have (m)any issues putting it back together.

Thats not the heater tap. However, if thats the part thats broken, you need to replace it. I'd still fit a new CCV though, not a 2nd hand one.

Right well it's all back together!

Took me from 9AM -> 6PM including picking up parts.

I managed to do the whole thing myself, made sure I took note of where everything went etc... was pretty easy to figure out actually!

The M50 intake had been pretty badly installed, lots of the hosing was collapsing in on itself as he didn't use material that could handle the vacuum pressure.

Replacing the taps proved to be really, really easy!

I had to remove the windscreen wipers and all the removable parts at the top of the firewall that the wiring box attaches onto.

While I had the injectors out I thought it'd be a good time to replace the pintle-caps and o-rings, I managed to get these from 'Vantage Automotive (377, 9650)' as Jeff Gray BMW told me you had to replace the whole units at $300 an injector!.

The car is going much /much/ better, idles smoother, has more torque down low, sounds better!

Edited by sammcj

Was it you on Barrington st pulled over with steam pouring out of your engine bay? Did one of those heater hoses come off?

Was it you on Barrington st pulled over with steam pouring out of your engine bay? Did one of those heater hoses come off?

LOL - yes, no, didn't bleed coolant system properly, heated up when I turned the heater on as I forgot to do this in the process, thought I got it all out then but just got hot again while out getting lunch so will have another go up on a jack tonight.

LOL - yes, no, didn't bleed coolant system properly, heated up when I turned the heater on as I forgot to do this in the process, thought I got it all out then but just got hot again while out getting lunch so will have another go up on a jack tonight.

Just so I don't look like a prick it wasn't me who drove past and didn't stop, it was Kevin ;)

Just so I don't look like a prick it wasn't me who drove past and didn't stop, it was Kevin ;)

Ah didn't need help anyway.

Typical Peugeot owner... ;)

Actually, I lie, I converted my bimmer to run on steam.

Edited by sammcj

Always bleed the cooling system with your heater on max temp with the fan off. Both temp settings if you have climate control... this goes for all BMW's