Sign in to follow this  
fatjoez

how do recalls check

so worldwide the highpressure fuelpumps on the 135i, 335i, 535i on like roughly 2006+ models have been failing.

Being the second owner of the car, am I still eligible if a recall is issued for this component or even any components of an affected car?

How do you check if there are any recalls on your vehicle do you just call a local dealer?

If its a safety bulletin then you are normally eligible regardless of age/ownership. My old lady had a part replaced in her 13 year old Japanese import a few months back free of charge for example.

Find out by contacting your dealer.

Edited by Clinton

so worldwide the highpressure fuelpumps on the 135i, 335i, 535i on like roughly 2006+ models have been failing.

Being the second owner of the car, am I still eligible if a recall is issued for this component or even any components of an affected car?

How do you check if there are any recalls on your vehicle do you just call a local dealer?

If you have a warranty from your dealer, you are covered.

At the moment, there is a recall out for the software to be updated for this issue - just take in your key to a dealer and they will confirm.

Make sure you only use standard fuels in your car and not biofuel mixes. This will reduce the likelyhood of problems in the HPFP.

Areas in the states with compulsory biofuel mixes have big numbers of HPFP issues.

not under warranty but logically speaking wouldn't warranty be irrelevant in the event of a recall

regarding HPFP i've read extensively on the topic on US BMW forums, and if it's a software fix they're offering, I don't want it, cause it ain't a real fix as documented by plenty of members on the forums @ 1addicts

It's a pump problem not a software problem

Cheers for the petrol tip, I actually noticed that also in my readings so yea almost always bp98

Anywho I'll give them a call and see whats new

Edited by fatjoe

not under warranty but logically speaking wouldn't warranty be irrelevant in the event of a recall

regarding HPFP i've read extensively on the topic on US BMW forums, and if it's a software fix they're offering, I don't want it, cause it ain't a real fix as documented by plenty of members on the forums @ 1addicts

It's a pump problem not a software problem

Cheers for the petrol tip, I actually noticed that also in my readings so yea almost always bp98

Anywho I'll give them a call and see whats new

I don't think BMW think this matter is a recall matter. WE know that the issue is there - esp on the early pumps and using biofuel mix. For the most part, once you have the latest pump, software upgrade and stay on "normal" high octane fuel - you should be sweet. I know that there are a few americans saying they still have issues - but you read any forum in america and it is full of "the world is ending" types. Look at the iPhone 4 debacle. I have seen no issues at all (and neither has any other one I have seen) - yet the yanks go bananas when they can't ring their mistresses. (They need to blame AT&T, not Apple)

Actually, I use the iPhone 4 antenna as a good measure of someone's brain type. As soon as they see one and say "how about those antenna issues aye?!?", a virtual label gets stamped on their forehead- "idiot"

If you refuse the software fix, and your car is under warranty, then it would void the warranty on that part. But, you say you don't have warranty - so it doesn't matter.

yea fab new bmw policy, no warranty transfers

no real long cranks yet so yea just wanted to check really

but yea as you say its definately been noted as a problem

cause I read of other recalls for like Fire Hazards and random stuff so wanted to see if there was anything goin on here

wont comment on the iphone, just going by what I've read, you're probably right about people hyperventilating, but then, Steve Jobs wouldn't come on stage and say we'll try fix it if it wasn't that big

ah well, I'm not an iphone user lol

Edited by fatjoe

If its a known recall it will be done out of warranty, I know of factory recalls that have been carried out on a 5 year old Japanese import BMW, the dealer just charges it back to BMW.

Just be careful though, this will only apply IF there is a recall issued for the vehicle, NOT ALL KNOWN PROBLEMS result in a full-on recall. The manufacturers will do anything they possibly can to avoid issuing a recall due to the costs, preferring to deal with the issue as and when it affects particular cars.

BMW are particularly bad at this for some reason, negative publicity I guess, so even if it is a known issue on those cars, it doesn't necessarily mean a recall has or will be given. If it hasn't the chances of getting it paid for by the dealer or BMW are much slimmer - and likely to result in a sh!t fight. Be 100% clear with the dealer whether it is a recall and the costs covered before you take the car in to have any work done.