Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Bought a Pioneer Amp on Trademe

I got my 'new' Pioneer Home Theatre amp today. I confirmed the seller had the original packaging before I bid. It arrived in the in the original box but NOT in the original packaging. The only protection was some of that accoustic filler cloth that goes inside speakers. Seller sells hi-fi in New Plymouth so I assumed he would know how to package up a 17kg receiver.

The visible damage is that one of the 4 feet has been broken off (shattered the mount and the screw is at 45 degrees to the chasis so it's taken a hell of a knock!) It's a Pioneer VSX-LX60 and it's fairly sophisticarted with THX2 certification, 7.1 channels, HDMI switching, iPOD connectivity etc; so it has a lot to go wrong. So after spending $1315, including $65 for courier I am feeling gutted. I havn't tried it yet but I'm hoping ALL the features still work when I power it up tonight.

This seems to be my luck this week. Yesterday I found the rear trim I bought for the E38 was missing the screw tabs (ripped off) on the right side.

Edited by jimbo

damn, I have a 5.1 pioneer receiver here that I've been meaning to sell but haven't got around to it

would've been a nice local pick up for you too, not 7.1 though

damn, I have a 5.1 pioneer receiver here that I've been meaning to sell but haven't got around to it

would've been a nice local pick up for you too, not 7.1 though

I'm upgrading from my trusted Yamaha DSP A1 which can't handle the Dolby digital HD sound, or DTS HD sound. I bought that from a hifi store in Whakatane on TM and it was excellently packaged and has working flowlessly ever since, and is still like new.

Insurance? Was it overnight courier? when i bought mine the cheapest post i could find was $36 3-4 day delivery or $100 odd overnight i went with the 3-4 but made sure i got insurance. i wouldnt be happy with that packaging even $2 bubble wrap and newspaper would have done a better job...i guess only thing you could do is claim insurance, email the seller/bad feedback or small claims...definite stink burger for you though dude!

Insurance? Was it overnight courier? when i bought mine the cheapest post i could find was $36 3-4 day delivery or $100 odd overnight i went with the 3-4 but made sure i got insurance. i wouldnt be happy with that packaging even $2 bubble wrap and newspaper would have done a better job...i guess only thing you could do is claim insurance, email the seller/bad feedback or small claims...definite stink burger for you though dude!

It was courier post over night delivery. How someone selling HiFi could package any amp like that defies any common sence. Packed that badly insurance wouldn't cover it anyway! As you say even a sheet of bubble wrap from the post shop would have done a MUCH better job, as would rolled up news paper.

I'll test later and post the results (fingers crossed!)

Edited by jimbo

Ratshit service Jim :angry:

Have you queried him on it? If so- his response?

I'd be demanding a refund (not as described) as I assume he didn't list it as damaged.

Even if it cost you the return postage.

I know what it's like mate - you spend big bucks on decent gear - you want it to be in mint condition when it arrives.

Have you spoken to the guy about it? He might actually be quite reasonable about it all. Mind you, people like that are few and far between these days!

I would be absoltely gutted if I was you. I recently picked up a Pioneer VSXLX51 and it sounds amazing so you should be stoked with sound when you finally get an undamaged version of it.

Out of interest what speakers were you intending to run it on?

I would be absoltely gutted if I was you. I recently picked up a Pioneer VSXLX51 and it sounds amazing so you should be stoked with sound when you finally get an undamaged version of it.

Out of interest what speakers were you intending to run it on?

I've sent him an email but got no response. if it works I'll give his + feeback, and if it doesn't I'll give him the chance to put it right.

I'm running a Mirage MCSi as the centre, (after a Polk CS400i) and POLK RT2000i speakers as the main, and 4 Mirage bi-polar surround speakers as surround and rear.

I did power it up and the lights worked!

ah awesome, I had some mirage speakers a little while ago and I was impressed.

Unfortunately space dictated that I had to downgrade my system, only have 2 Wharfedale Opus 1 series 2 atm.

How do you find the Rt2000i's?

ah awesome, I had some mirage speakers a little while ago and I was impressed.

Unfortunately space dictated that I had to downgrade my system, only have 2 Wharfedale Opus 1 series 2 atm.

How do you find the Rt2000i's?

Good news - I set it up using the autoset-up mic, connected mysky Hd, PS3, named the inputs, and it seems to work perfectly. Tried all the modes. Volumn only goes to +12db though, which is loud but nowhere near as loud as the DSP-A1. Wondering if it's on mute or some limit. I guess i need to carefully read the manual. The remote is pretty confusing although i've figured out how to make it work the recevier controls.

Now I have to track down my Pioneer BDP-LX70a blu-ray player which I won on Saturday (paid Monday). Last contact from the seller was Sunday. I'm eager to get it hooked up to the LX60.

Speakers - if i could find a good pair of Mirage M1's, M3's, or OM6 main speakers I'd sell the POLK RT2000i. The Mirage have a fnatasic 'real' sound in my opinion. I had M790's but a friend's kid pushed in the tweeter cones so I sold them and got the Polks.

I'd also get a POLK CS400i which is the perfect match for the RT2000i speakers (or a CS1000 which includes powered 6.5" inch subs either side, which otherwise is the same speaker as the CS400i. I would not sell the Mirage MCSi centre speaker though - it is awesome- and one day I'll find me a pair of those Mirage speakers.

The POLKs on the Yamaha DSP A1 sounded much more relaxed. They now sound sharper, clearer - quiet different (too sharp with phase control on). I'm using Kimber cable from when I had the Mirage speakers. I originally ran the Mirage through a Sony amp and they sounded like crap. The Kimber cable improved things, but it wasn't till I bought an Yamaha receiver that we go to expereince their full capability.

Anyway with the Pioneer LX60 I've returned to the the brand I 1st bought when 30 years ago.

Edited by jimbo

If it uses the same OS/GUI as my Pioneer VSX then hit the home button on the remote and it'll bring up an on-screen menu on the TV. Under settings there's a max volume limit. Good for if you have kids or mates who still haven't learnt not to touch the volume control. There's also a control there for start-up volume so you can turn it off at whatever listening volume you have it at without worrying about waking up the dead when you turn it on next.

Not sure if yours has teh same remote as mine, but tricks for young players:

Hit the receiver button near the bottom before you swear at the remote for not working (it is set up to control the source device after you change source).

Check the zone control switch before (again) swearing at the remote. Took me ages to figure out why the volume wasn't changing - was trying to turn down the volume on zone 2 which in my current house does not exist.

If it uses the same OS/GUI as my Pioneer VSX then hit the home button on the remote and it'll bring up an on-screen menu on the TV. Under settings there's a max volume limit. Good for if you have kids or mates who still haven't learnt not to touch the volume control. There's also a control there for start-up volume so you can turn it off at whatever listening volume you have it at without worrying about waking up the dead when you turn it on next.

Not sure if yours has teh same remote as mine, but tricks for young players:

Hit the receiver button near the bottom before you swear at the remote for not working (it is set up to control the source device after you change source).

Check the zone control switch before (again) swearing at the remote. Took me ages to figure out why the volume wasn't changing - was trying to turn down the volume on zone 2 which in my current house does not exist.

Thanks - that sounds like the sort of thing - couldn't find it in the manual though.

I've sent him an email but got no response. if it works I'll give his + feeback, and if it doesn't I'll give him the chance to put it right.

Personally, i would not give positive feedback for the shoddy postage...But glad to hear its working B)

Took a quick look at the online version of the manual. Turns out on the LX60 +12db is max setting and couldn't find anything about custom max setting.

Took a quick look at the online version of the manual. Turns out on the LX60 +12db is max setting and couldn't find anything about custom max setting.

I had this full blast and it wasn't what I would consider party volumn. The yamaha would go that loud on mute (muted by 20db), and god help you if you turned the mute off by mistake. Very wierd. Perhaps it is brokenb after all!

Strange, my pioneer blasts out the sound. I'd take it back regardless due to the damage. Stereo gear is something you expect to be perfect

I think it's very subjective. I have a friend with the exact same setup as me (speakers included) and he raves about how it cranks. Mines in a smaller house and occasionally I feel it could do with a wee bit more power. (I haven't had a chance to listen to his, but you have to assume it's the same).

So jimbos comparison with his Yamaha is probably a fair one as it is the same guy listening to both.

Personally, i would not give positive feedback for the shoddy postage...But glad to hear its working B)

Thats the problem with trademe feedback - if you give fair feedback - i.e. neutral or bad in this case you get the same and trademe won't do a thing about it.

For example I have one negitive feedback from some idiot who wouldn't remove a bid when requested (3 days before the auction ended as seller was misrepresenting age of goods AND would not post a photo of the actual item), then when I 'won' and didn't complete he abused me and sent threatening txts, (which i copied to trademe) and even knowing that trademe left his feedback there.

VSX-LX60 amp shut down today when I running at about +6db on Pink Floyds Pulse 'Comfortably Numb'. After 10 seconds it turned back on. This was not yet unfomfortablably loud - it is significantly less powerful in the real world than the Yamaha DSPA1 when driving the POLK RT2000i. Oh well no worry as the rest of the family thought it was way too loud.

Edited by jimbo

Pink Floyd can never be too loud :)

Ain't that the truth - you got to get that wall of sound up and washing over you!

Thats the problem with trademe feedback - if you give fair feedback - i.e. neutral or bad in this case you get the same and trademe won't do a thing about it.

For example I have one negitive feedback from some idiot who wouldn't remove a bid when requested (3 days before the auction ended as seller was misrepresenting age of goods AND would not post a photo of the actual item), then when I 'won' and didn't complete he abused me and sent threatening txts, (which i copied to trademe) and even knowing that trademe left his feedback there.

Yeah they don't really seem to care much in those situations :huh: can see TM's pov though, they would be bombarded with disgruntled feedback people...i'm like you and have 2 bad feedbacks from sellers over ridiculous stuff...one a laptop that was sooooo misrepresented and another from a guy who obviously did not get what he wanted from a $1 res auction, then gave me bad feedback after i placed mine <_<

I have now set up the Pioneer BDP-LX70A Blu-ray player and it is doing a great job and as you would expect works seemlessly with the Pioneer Amp. The blu-ray player was packaged great - lots of foam and bubble wrap.

My Yamaha DSPA1 sold last Saturday for $550 and is now gone :(

So for convieniance for the family with the HDMI switching the Pioneer gets the thumbs up :)

Personally I miss the Yammy and have no-one to blame but my self. I was seduced by HDMI switching, THXSelect, and a shinny black plastic front panel, and blue lights. :rolleyes:

Thats the big draw back of buying on trademe. You can't listen to the setup you are going to create before you buy, and some amps are better suited to some speakers.

So my final comment on this setup is that the sound of the Pioneer LX60 combined with the POLK RT2000i gives a clean almost clinical sound. There is less volume in the mids with more emphasis on the highs, and overall less power in the base. I would describe the sound with the Yamaha DSPA1 as more relaxed and more warm, and for me a more enjoyable experience. What I didn't expect was signifincatly lower volume. I can listen to the LX60 at plus 12db, the loudest it will go. It however has issues and shuts down for about 10 seconds after a minute of two at full blast. I guess those extra 5kg in the Yamaha were in the power supply and massive passive heatsinks. I guess I've gone from what was a Yamaha flagship model to more of a bottom of the top end in Pioneers range so my comparison isn't probably that fair.

Edited by jimbo

So my final comment on this setup is that the sound of the Pioneer LX60 combined with the POLK RT2000i gives a clean almost clinical sound. There is less volume in the mids with more emphasis on the highs, and overall less power in the base. I would describe the sound with the Yamaha DSPA1 as more relaxed and more warm, and for me a more enjoyable experience. What I didn't expect was signifincatly lower volume. I can listen to the LX60 at plus 12db, the loudest it will go. It however has issues and shuts down for about 10 seconds after a minute of two at full blast. I guess those extra 5kg in the Yamaha were in the power supply and massive passive heatsinks. I guess I've gone from what was a Yamaha flagship model to more of a bottom of the top end in Pioneers range so my comparison isn't probably that fair.

Pioneer can put on all the fancy letters they want but it's never going to compete with a yamaha sound wise ,seriously why do yamaha win so many awards and not on the mags that are sponsored and therefore have biased reviews