Sign in to follow this  
AzonicNick

Factory (ish) cheap head unit

Hey all,

Spotted these a few days ago, no idea if they are any good or not but could be a cheap clean upgrade from a modern bright unit if you want something more low-key.

No CD but has SD/USB/AUX? inputs and is cheap cheap. Should look alright in a e30/36/34 although I have never seen one irl.

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM...mp;SUBCATID=909

Posted Image

About time !!

I've been saying for a few years now that it is pointless for cars to have CD players with all the cheap digital format music and devises.

cool. those look real tidy and simple. actually considering buying one to replace my bright blue lit headunit

Nice, but what happens if you feel like some new tunes on a road trip? Or if a mate chucks you a CD and says put this in...

Nice, but what happens if you feel like some new tunes on a road trip? Or if a mate chucks you a CD and says put this in...

Tell them to shut up! :P

Pretty cool, like yours better though!

20x4 is really not alot, chuck her through an amp though and you would have nice power.

Only two pre outs so you will be a little limited with what you can do

The site says 20wrms per channel which More than the usual 50x4 anyway. Would be good for non-audiophiles.

My Clarion DXZ386USB looks ALMOST right in the E30 Dashboard. Has non eye raping Red LED's. but when new, was more than 99 bucks ^_^

The site says 20wrms per channel which More than the usual 50x4 anyway. Would be good for non-audiophiles.

My Clarion DXZ386USB looks ALMOST right in the E30 Dashboard. Has non eye raping Red LED's. but when new, was more than 99 bucks ^_^

was going to say the high end alpines like the 9887 only output 22wrms x 4. The 50w max claims are a load of rubbish. It has two sets of RCA outputs which are only 2V so are more susceptible to noise but still perfectly acceptable. Seems like a pretty decent quality cheap headunit.

Just to bring this back to life.

I'm going into Jaycar tomorrow to pick one up. Just wanted last minute experience people have had with either this (if anyone has one yet) or other similar *cheap* headunits.

I realise that it is very cheap for a headunit at $125 but its the only one that i've come across that looks pretty much stock. The main reason for me picking one up. Unfortunately though to others interested the lights for the buttons glow yellow, not red as seen online and in their catalogue. Spoke to the salesman and he was as confused as me.

So to get back to the point, is purchasing a cheap headunit a complete mistake? I'm not a crazy audio guy, I just want the stock appearance with the AUX input. It has on the faceplate 4x45W which is equivalent to the crappy Sanyo i've got now which is 4x50W.

Cheers

So to get back to the point, is purchasing a cheap headunit a complete mistake? I'm not a crazy audio guy, I just want the stock appearance with the AUX input. It has on the faceplate 4x45W which is equivalent to the crappy Sanyo i've got now which is 4x50W.

I have one of these and it works good and looks stock with red backlight, cheap as.

Edit: Oh.. no AUX, lol.

Edited by M20B20ONP

Yes I am Jason.

That one looks quite good James but I definitely need an AUX input.

Edit: Haha yea!

Edited by Nick021

I have this mate, Its got cd player and usb and sd in, Detachable faceplate, 52x4 , I had it in my e36 when i had it, Its all orange back lit and a perfect match with the orange of the dash lights etc.

I know you need one with aux input but this does not have it i am afraid. Do you really need it ??.

post-3443-1284702318.jpg

Looks like quite a decent one Jason however I do need an Aux Input. Thanks anyway :)

For those interested I picked one of those units up Saturday and spent 15 minutes today hooking it up. The previous stereo was very professionally installed thank god which made it so quick to change over. Looks great in the dash, the sound is easily equal to what was in there before and all the inputs are fantastic. Exactly what I wanted.

I'll also get a picture up sometime for those who wish to see what it looks like in a BMW dash.

Which one did you end up with Nick? Should've flicked me a text and I would have come got in the way while you were installing lol.

Thow up a pic

Keen for 1. Group buy anyone?

Note $99 was in AUD.

NZ$ here

Edited by raymondt