Sign in to follow this  
nickbawt

E34 540i Chipping

So Im playing with the idea of getting the 540i chipped, a friend of mine who has a GTI golf got his done, new map to match all his work hes done to the engine (which is quite extensive). Hes trying to convince me to do it to the e34, but Im not sure. His golf's throttle response is now extremely volitile, basically its either full boost or nothing.. hmm.

Anyway I degress, NZ perforance tuning has quoted me $790 for a simple chip change, saying it will improve power through mid range torque and increase hp by about 10%... for $790... wow. They set the map up by you telling them the current mods to the vehicle (in my case, just a new exhaust from headers back) then choosing a map to best fit, Im not fully convinced this is the best way for my car. Would it not be better to get it mapped on a dyno to match my specific engine?

I think that money could be better spent elsewhere too.. just not sure where.. at this stage to, Im sitting on the fence about a manual conversion.. distant future perhaps.

Just after your guys opionions regarding chipping, and if those gains are worth the nearly 800 slides..

What would you guys do if you had 800 to throw at it?

Ring Gavin Bellars of Hi Velocity on the shore. He has live tuned quite a few 540's. I believe there are good gains to be made.

Nick, in regards to Tom's Mk4 we suspect there is one or more mechanical issue causing the aggressive power delivery of his car.

At least he has his diverter valve plumbed correctly now :P

Money back if you dont like how your car responds after the remap/chip. Our maps are developed in a temp and humidity controlled dyno cell in the uk.

BTW I work for NZ Perforance Tuning

i second that . the only way to go is a live remap on a dyno so you can see the results as apposed to a guess .

and i think it will cost you about the same .

call gavin .

worth while mods for the e34 540i is a diff ratio change and maybe lsd .

open up the rear of the exhaust system ( but becarfull as some of the rear boxes sound yukky)

maybe a more open air box set up .

but really a remap will give you the best bang for buck

and a diff change and 6spd conversion:)