Sign in to follow this  
jammah2002

new member 2002 cabriolet

Hi all

my name is Jamie I am currently in melbourne but I have a couple of early 70's bmw's in storage in NZ i plan on returning in the next few months I would like to get them back on the road to tour NZ

I have a 1974 2002 cabriolet

and a 1972 2002 touring sedan

and a 1972 2000 hatch for parts

post-6182-1283647952.jpg

post-6182-1283648014.jpg

post-6182-1283648124.jpg

post-6182-1283648047.jpg

I wan to put a more modern more reliable motor in the cabriolet to make the drive around nz more hassle free

I have a bit of cash to throw into it so any suggestions or idears would be appreciated

I would also like to upgrade Suspension and brakes

The car has lots of sentimental value

I am really looking forward to being back in NZ and behind its wheel

Those are super cool cars, what is the interior like? some pics would be great. As to the engine nothing too much wrong with the M10 motor, you can get great reliability and serious horsepower out of those things. Would perhaps spoil it if anything other than an M10 were used.

Where in NZ will you be based?

Those are super cool cars, what is the interior like? some pics would be great. As to the engine nothing too much wrong with the M10 motor, you can get great reliability and serious horsepower out of those things. Would perhaps spoil it if anything other than an M10 were used.

Where in NZ will you be based?

the interior is completley factory the white sedan is a blue velour and the cabriolet is black leather with white and black check centers niether have even had a stereo put in and are absolutely immaculate

i think i have one very out of focus picpost-6182-1283689892.jpg

i will be in palmerston north or gisborne

the white sedan runs infact after five years in storage it started first pop with a jump pack

the yellow one runs but not as well, the old farm where it used to be stored had rats they ate some of the hydraulic hoses so it has no clutch

i was in nz three weeks ago i moved them to a safer storage location gave them a polish, put protectant on all the leather and fabric then sealed them up again waiting for my return

I also have another its silver and a hatchback it is complete but the reg is not on hold like the other two it was intended for parts

I like the idear of keeping the original motor in

never even knew they made 2002 cabs

Me neither.

Welcome mate, me needed some more 2002 on here!

Me neither.

Welcome mate, me needed some more 2002 on here!

By "hatch" do you mean the touring hatchback/ fastback? Aren't they super rare? How bad is it that you are thinking of turning it into a parts car? If it is what I think it is DONT DO IT!!! They are one of my favorite BMWs of all time!

They're not super rare - just somewhat rare. The problem is they're rare enough that if you have one needing restoration in any way ... you can't find the parts and its uneconomic to restore.

@jammah - I agree with the others - keep it M10. Even better - buy my 2002tii engine (low miles), linkages etc and convert it to a Tii.

Edited by CamB

By "hatch" do you mean the touring hatchback/ fastback? Aren't they super rare? How bad is it that you are thinking of turning it into a parts car? If it is what I think it is DONT DO IT!!! They are one of my favorite BMWs of all time!

i dont have a photo but its the same as this but silver and a 2000

post-6182-1283752554.jpg

how much for the motor camb

Edited by jammah2002

Here, I've just re-listed it on Trademe as I took it off while I was away overseas for two weeks:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-315863056.htm

Started easily with the cold start injector hooked up to a button (press it a couple of times while cranking and it'd fire up).

I'll chuck in a brand new water pump too (expensive, as a tii specific part).

i dont have a photo but its the same as this but silver and a 2000

post-6182-1283752554.jpg

how much for the motor camb

That's the one I was thinking of, love 'em!! How bad is it? Not that I'm in the market as im not in nz at the moment...

That's the one I was thinking of, love 'em!! How bad is it? Not that I'm in the market as im not in nz at the moment...

its not that bad at all a small amount of rust around the bottom of the doors hasn't been started in around five years tho was mainly the fact the reg was cancelled that was stopping me

and with the other two a parts car would not be so bad

but hey maybe you have changed my mind ;)

Hey Jamie-welcome mate-I knew I knew you lol-had heard whispers about these cars-had no idea they were this cool tho.

its not that bad at all a small amount of rust around the bottom of the doors hasn't been started in around five years tho was mainly the fact the reg was cancelled that was stopping me

and with the other two a parts car would not be so bad

but hey maybe you have changed my mind ;)

Canceled reg isn't that bad, especially if you have the original plates or even a pic of it with the original plates on it. With that info you can prove it's been reg'd in NZ before then you just need to re-register it. I've been there with a 70s Datusn which had no reg for over 12 years but I had both the plates and a pic of it from back in the day. I'd say keep it and one day repower it (or sell it to me when I'm back in the country).