Sign in to follow this  
jom

E36 Jatco box

As it happened....

1. Your car sounds like you have blown some exhaust baffles. (In the words of someone following me at Manfield, "it sounds like you're dragging something along the ground")

2. It sounds like a V8 on even minor throttle openings. Think that you have main bearing problems?

3. After accelerating hard and backing off (overtaking etc.) the revs refuse to die for a second or two. Yes, this is embarassing.

4. Large puddles of trans fluid under the car.

All this has taken about 6 months to eventuate....

You need at least a new torque converter, it maybe time for a new (used) box or even a manual conversion!

Jo

PS I have a replacement Jatco box now, and the car is fast, quiet, and smooth. Happy again.

Edited by Jo M

I have very similar problems with mine, what did it cost you for the replacement?.....Just looking to sort that out now...

The main problem with E36's with Jatco's is they dont have three pedals, they only made them with two :P

I am very tempted to find out about getting a manual conversion instead, but my Wife wont drive a bloody Manual!

If anyone can give me a rough figure of the cost involved, that would be awesome and il buy her a Toyota Starlet or something :P

Edited by 320I

I have very similar problems with mine, what did it cost you for the replacement?.....Just looking to sort that out now...

I lucked into a cheap box on Trademe, the day mine started leaking. - But - I've looked at prices, rebuilds about $1500 (check with a trans supplier) and around $1000 to fit it at an indie.

Jo

$3000 to get my jatco fixed (under warranty thankfully)

a year later and it's stuffed again, but only 1st to 2nd gear this time and only when it's cold

getting a manual conversion this time round

$3000 to get my jatco fixed (under warranty thankfully)

a year later and it's stuffed again, but only 1st to 2nd gear this time and only when it's cold

getting a manual conversion this time round

What this man said. Cost me $2300 to fix auto trans. $1900 for manual conversion. No brainer unless you only have one leg.