Sign in to follow this  
uhlsta

Xbox 360 Repair

Hey people.

My xbox has decided to crap itself. It started overheating last week, 2 red lights start flashing, tried a couple tricks of the net and also bought a fan for it called an intercooler, sits on the back of the xbox.

It's still overheating after about 90mins use, it was only about 2mins when it first started overheating.

Does anyone know somewhere i can get it fixed on the cheaps.

Can't really afford to upgrade to the new one at the mo.

Cheers

How old is your Xbox? IIRC it should have a 2 or 3 year RRoD warrenty so just take it back.

Otherwise there a few people around who how to but depending on the person you can't always guarntee the quality of work.

Rang Microsoft/Xbox, warranty's expired, so looking for a cheap repair option, so i don't have to buy a new one or a refurbished one.

Edited by FleXturE

might be full of dust

you can try opening it and use canned air from dickie smith (do not use a vacuum or one of those static dusters!)

if you, or you know someone who is electronically minded, then you can put heat sinks and better fans inside the xbox (my mate did this successfully)

do you know if it is the actual xbox or the power supply that is overheating? sometimes the power supply can get dust and crap in it or be sitting in a place that is not open to air.

I have bought a few overheating rrod x boxes and fixed them using the thermal paste and heat sink X clamp tricks...if you can't find a link i'll have a hunt later!

The intercoolers are very good particularly with ex rrod ones!

I have a mate that repairs them, he trades though trademe has a shop on there i beleive. Pm me if you wish to get his contact.

Hey people.

My xbox has decided to crap itself. It started overheating last week, 2 red lights start flashing, tried a couple tricks of the net and also bought a fan for it called an intercooler, sits on the back of the xbox.

It's still overheating after about 90mins use, it was only about 2mins when it first started overheating.

Does anyone know somewhere i can get it fixed on the cheaps.

Can't really afford to upgrade to the new one at the mo.

Cheers

www.kiwimods.co.nz

have dealt with them before, good person to talk and deal with, he modded my 360 to play backup games.

he modded my 360 to play backup games.

Very very easy mod, plenty of youtube videos how to do this!

Do you need any kinda sepcial tools to open it up?

Might give it a go before forking out for repair or refurbished xbox.

Where can you get Trox screw drivers?

Most hardware stores will sell them off the shelf

Do you need any kinda sepcial tools to open it up?

Might give it a go before forking out for repair or refurbished xbox.

Yep - you need special tools.

Plenty of kits on trademe. I bought the RROD repair kit proII which was the most expensive at $48 delivered but has everything you need, including the special torx drivers, the heat sink compound for the CPU's under the heatsinks, replacement bolts so you don't need to re-fit the xbrackets, the sticky heat pads for the memory chips, 2 additional metal stick on heatsinks for 2 other large chips on the mother board, and a link to the instructions on the web.

The problem is overheating chips, and in particular the memory chips that are underneath the motherboard. Ours had just started to do the freezing thing. the precursor sympton to the red ring of death. Did the fix today and my son has tried it and the freezing is gone. As i bought the XBox 360 slim last weekend we now have 2 working Xboxes. One for each kid. Me - I've got the PS3 in my bedroom.

Replace x-clamps with bolts, replace thermal paste, and rewire the fans to run on 12v permanently.

yeah its probably the thermal paste have dried up between the heatsink and the chip. i change my thermal paste on my PC every 6 months.

and if you are going to do it yourself get decent thermal paste. its about 15 bucks+ for good ones. they last longer and keep the chip cooler. and double check everything :)

in my experience xbox 360's are junk.

MS knew about this overheating issue but rushed it to market anyway.

I had mine RRoD three times, repaired under warranty. The fourth I tired fixing myself but the motherboard looked warped. So it went in the bin, along with all my games and any respect I had for MS gaming consoles.

Now I have a PS3, it works beautifully.

Plus you don't have to pay for online gaming.

Edited by M5V8

I think it was because of the use of lead free solder, it cracks easily from all the heat cycles. The new ones have been changed and are fine.

How old is your XBox? Microsoft has extended warranty to additional 3 years for RRoD problems. I have had my one fail after the 1 year warranty period and still had it replaced by MS (this was back in 2008). Downside was that it had to be shipped to US and had to wait for the replacement one - took about 3 weeks all together. And DVD drive in the one I was sent was very noisy...still is - probably because it was not brand new unit. But that's life. Couldn't really be bothered arguing with them and waiting another 3 weeks to get another replacement.

Edited by Simke

in my experience xbox 360's are junk.

MS knew about this overheating issue but rushed it to market anyway.

I had mine RRoD three times, repaired under warranty. The fourth I tired fixing myself but the motherboard looked warped. So it went in the bin, along with all my games and any respect I had for MS gaming consoles.

Now I have a PS3, it works beautifully.

Plus you don't have to pay for online gaming.

PS3's are no better...I have had to get the bluray drive replaced 3 times in mine and my friends CPU overheated, luck we both had extended warranties B)

I've noticed more and more broken PS3's on trademe, so would not go as far too say that Sony had no problems!