Sign in to follow this  
Wom

I tihnk there's glue on my paint :(

Um yea so I was cleaning my car yesterday and as I was drying it I noticed what looks to be glue on the paint.

Not a lot, but looks like 2 lines going down and a bit of a blob where the line stops.

Any suggestions on the best products to try and get this stuff off?

I've been told to try this - http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/laundry_and_...id=1&sort=0

Desolve it is good for gummy type substances or glues...from the look of it that's super glue and desolve it won't really work.

How about turps or thinners applied with a cotton bud? ;)

Does look like super glue, id carefully slice off the chunky bits with a razor, Acetone and some elbow grease will eventually dissolve CA, but be gentle as it could wreck the paint underneath if you get carried away.

well this is definitely the last time I ever park my car in public again

it was fine on Thursday night when I gave it a quick wipe down to get rid of the muddy cat paw prints

take it to work on Friday (99% of the time I use the gf's car - this was the first time I had used mine in a long long time) and park it in Wellington CBD (just off The Terrace)

Saturday I go to clean it and find it like this

Dude, If you are going to have sex on the Bonnet.. Make sure you clean up properly when done :P

Dude, If you are going to have sex on the Bonnet.. Make sure you clean up properly when done :P

:lol:

I would take it to a signwriter and see if prepsol will remove it, if it doesn't it may be very hard to remove without damaging the paint.

Have you simply tried picking it off?

Edited by resident know it all

it could possibly be tree sap

but whatever it is, it is set hard on there

I tried carefully picking at it and didn't get anywhere, was worried I'd take the paint off too

I'm going to contact my insurer tomorrow, probably going to take it to a panelbeater to sort out

panelbeater said no point in claiming, because even if they needed to paint it it would still be less than my excess ($300)

so I left it with them today and voila, looks mint as :)

in the end they had to sand it off and buff it

$90

yea he said they tried solvent first but it wasn't coming off, so had to go ahead with sanding it

yea quite reasonable cost I thought

like you said, the inconvenience and the fact that someone would actually do this is the worst part