Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Project Engine Parts Wanted

Ist priority:

(1)M54B30 crank, rods & pistons

I'd also like all the bearing shells too if possible (new will be fitted on final assembly)

I know this is going to be a hard ask... once I can get these ^^^I will need the rest:

(2) M52B28 head complete with vanos & rocker cover

(3) M50B25 Single vanos short block complete (Must be E36 84mm bore)

(4) M50B25 Intake manifold

Edited by *Glenn*

Hey I asked first haha :P

Im guessing a 3l m50 is coming. If it is staying na please put it in an alloy block. 20 kilos is a lot of extra weight

Are you keeping it simple and using the m54b30 pistons or getting something made up for more compression?

m54b30 head won't bolt up to an early m52. I haven't seen anyone who has put m52 cams and bits into a m54.

Do you have any more info you can share on that?

good luck finding the bits

Hey I asked first haha :P

Im guessing a 3l m50 is coming. If it is staying na please put it in an alloy block. 20 kilos is a lot of extra weight

Are you keeping it simple and using the m54b30 pistons or getting something made up for more compression?

m54b30 head won't bolt up to an early m52. I haven't seen anyone who has put m52 cams and bits into a m54.

Do you have any more info you can share on that?

good luck finding the bits

Ssssssh !!! I'm still researching

Subscribed.

I hope your going to do what I think your going to do.

I need the first bits first... then do alot more research and go from there.

you and me both glen :ph34r:

you and me both glen :ph34r:

So it's no good asking you for a crank, rods etc ...is it Kerry ? :P

I like the sound of this . can help with most of the other bits .

except the 3L crank .

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

I like the sound of this . can help with most of the other bits .

except the 3L crank .

That's going to be my first problem Brent... the rest will follow

If I just wait a short time for one of the open class guys to cook and engine... I think theres 3 that are running M54B30's now... maybe I should put my order in with Foxy :P The alloy blocks won't take a severe overheat and they distort with extreme load or HP

Edited by *Glenn*

I've never been big on secret squirrel stuff

From what I have read so far rod lengths are:

M54B30- 135 mm

M50B25 vanos- 140 mm

M50B25 nv- 135 mm

M52B25- 135 mm

M52B28- 135 mm

M20B20- 130 mm

M20B23- 130 mm

M20B25- 135 mm

M20B27- 130 mm

Unsure if m20 rods are usable or not

If you want 3 litres you want a US s50b30 crank (85.8mm of stroke) and you will need to bore it to 86mm. This is definately not the easy route. If you have an m52 engine you will need to have the cylinders re-lined as well.

The other option (easy :P )if you want 3 litres you'll want an m54b30 or US s52b32 crank (91mm of stroke).

You'll need 135mm rods or smaller. M52 and m54 rods are lighter then m50nv. With 135mm rods you can use m54b30 pistons (84mm bore) and you will get about 10.2-1 compression ratio. These pistons have the same bore as m52b25/8 and m50b25 engines. With suitable bearings and other bits it should all fall in to place

To get the most out of a 3L setup I believe you should use an alloy(m52) block. Otherwise you are better off using an m54b30. Just because of the weight saved

Basic engine calculator: http://www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/enginecalc.htm

M54 head will not fit on an m50 or 52. It might fit on an m52tu

I'm sure this is all info you've read allready. I'm trying to find again threads of the chaps that have done it

The alloy blocks won't take a severe overheat and they distort with extreme load or HP

How much power are you planning on putting through it? the owner of eurocca.net had a resleeved itb turbo alloy block producing 300kw. I don't think extreme load or hp will come from an m52b30. Unless you sink a whole lot of money into it

Edited by bbs

I've never been big on secret squirrel stuff

Thanks for the info James. It's not really secret squirrel stuff.

I just need the crank, rods and pistons first. Do my research first to achieve something I have in mind. I'm not throwing it all up here untill I'm sure what I will be doing and ending up with. It's just a want to buy ATM. Like all my other projects, I'll keep you all posted. I'm looking at something that may not have been done before. It may not work yet or be able to be done. Appart from the crank etc that I want to buy now. I now know who else has got the other parts that I want to measure and get more info on.

All parts I need located now, including an M54B30 short block complete (block not needed)..... now to empty my wallet :rolleyes:

Edited by *Glenn*