Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Solid mount E30 DS center bearing

Hey guys. installed an as new center bearing in the E30, and have gone through it in a week and a half, or about 500kms. obviously ive been driving the car hard...

what do the big power E30 guys run? looking at Atta's V8 specifically as it probably has more power than mine, but all you boosted and or engine conversion guys.

want to get onto this or my guibo is going to be next on the replacement list. probably already on its way.

What condition are the UJ's in and is the driveshaft phased correctly ?

^ Agree with Glenn, if your driveshaft is out of balance, the guibo or diff end nuts are loose or you havn't got the center mount bolted up nice and tight and square it will destroy them pretty fast. Ask me how I know.

Edited by Brams

Guessing a driveshaft balance is not a DIY? will have the car up on stands this afternoon so will recheck the bolts. were tight when i installed it but can hurt too check again now the cars been driven a bit

so the big power guys still use the standard E30 DSCB?

Car looks good Andy. I think all the race boys still use the standard centre bearings, I know we do, and never had a problem.

When you think about what it does, it's not a loaded part at all, unless something isn't centered.

Edited by Silver Fox

If the UJ's are knackered or its not phased correctly a balance won't help.

I'm using standard parts on mine but I had new UJ's fitted and had the DS balanced

Quick thread hijack for Glenn, how much for new UJs for an E30 and where best to get them done?

Quick thread hijack for Glenn, how much for new UJs for an E30 and where best to get them done?

You cant unless its a circliped type UJ. They are factory pressed in. My driveshaft repairer install new ones on my driveshaft that are now circliped. He changed the whole UJ assembly

my friends m52 e30 uses a standard one and its still mint. i would say a driveshaft fault is the culprate here not the hp.

Each end of each half of the driveshaft should have a mark. Have you lined them up? This is all I've had to do for my two manual conversions and I've had no issues in that dept.

Im still using the same driveshaft from when i had the M20 in there and never had trouble before, only thing thats changed is removing the driveshaft, and i may or may not have taken it apart. i thought each half was balanced on its own, not as one unit. therefore probably is out of balance then. will have a look for said marks tomorrow. if you have a photo of what im looking for that would be great!

btw Palazo, was going to ask that question anyway :D

2 white dots by the splines...if they are still on it

Edited by *Glenn*

if they're not just make sure the uj's are lined up, both the front and the back ones should be in the same position. if that makes sence.

great will have a look after i make a video :)

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_