Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tom20

Cleaning Products

Nice car dude, I wouldn't be going nuts with Clay bars or anything that extreme just yet with such a new car.

If you're worried about scratching it while you wash etc, use the two bucket method.

One bucket with your car wash/shampoo liquid and the other with clean water in it. Rinse the mitt in the cold water bucket before it goes back into the shampoo bucket.

I have two meguiars lambs wool mitts, one for anything above the top of the wheel arches and one for below. Always work from the roof of the car down.

Never wash your car in direct sunlight, or after it's just been driven (bonnet will be hot). Probably best done in the morning or late afternoon.

Great advice there.

Generally speaking, you would want to be taking a claybar to your vehicle once a year - more often if it isn't kept in a garage. Still, it's not uncommon for brand new vehicles to have bonded contaminants on their panels, and you may be surprised how much a 'Mild' claybar will remove from what looks like clean paint.

But the key piece of advice is to avoid inflicting swirlmarks & scratches by using deep pile wash mitts, and keeping your dirty rinse water separate from your shampoo solution in a 2nd bucket. Then keep your paint protected with a quality sealant or wax. (don't confuse this with 'polishing' though - "polish" and "wax" are completely different processes)

Ultimately, there are numerous 'good quality' products that can be used to get fantastic results, but even the 'best' product used inappropriately will result in a substandard finish.

All the best!

Not wanting to be a d*ck, but I smell something fishy. That's an American market 335i in your picture. You can tell by the front amber reflectors on the wheel arches, something Euro market cars don't have. So I'm picking the car is left hand drive... and because the 335i is not a "special interest vehicle" it can't be registered in New Zealand without being converted to RHD.

And now your pic has myteriously disappeared... hmmm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I note he hasn't been back on since you posted LOL. Personally if I was going to pretend to have an car it would be something a bit more expensive like a Lambo. A 335i would be the daily driver.

Got a strong feeling this is my mate being a d*ck since he found out I use this forum. Should probably lock this..

I use Dura-Seal products - they're quite pricey but they're very good & easy to use. You get a kit when you purchase the product which coats your car for a guaranteed 5 years from memory, it's a teflon based applicant that restricts dust/mud from sticking to your paint thus not becoming dirty so easy and easier to clean & providing an awesome shine & mirror reflection. The car wash is about 50 dollars per litre.

So got my new car today which I fortunately got as a 20th Birthday Present,

It has that mean new car shine atm and was wondering what people reckon are the best cleaning products to use ?

Cheers

Hi if it has leather interior, use Zymol. It can be had on trademe for a great price - about 20 dollars less (14.95) than what you'd pay online. Otherwise, Mothers is good, Meguiars, Autoglym...even Repo - anything, as long as your car is detailed properly using the correct product will keep it looking spick and span

Zymol on TM, cheers for that, I know its really popular overseas but haven’t seen it here, their wax is supposed to be the sh*t.

I tell you what I used to best results for cleaning an interior, a big bucket full of cold water and a scoop of clothing powder, cleaned over with a new cloth and the rag and bucket of water were literally black with the sh*t that comes off, Follow up with a leather conditioner, I just used Meguiars Aloe as that’s what I have on my shelf.

I tell you what I used to best results for cleaning an interior, a big bucket full of cold water and a scoop of clothing powder, cleaned over with a new cloth and the rag and bucket of water were literally black with the sh*t that comes off, Follow up with a leather conditioner, I just used Meguiars Aloe as that’s what I have on my shelf.

if this is the case, I have a leather interior in a serious need of a clean. Thanks for the tip

Zymol on TM, cheers for that, I know its really popular overseas but haven’t seen it here, their wax is supposed to be the sh*t.

That sounds amazing, shall have to give it a try - thanks for the idea mate

Welcome to the world of real cars where you dont need grass to have fun, or at least to keep ya gearbox in one piece :P

sh*t just makes me paranoid, not fun at all driving when you are paranoid.

Re clothes washing powder, as with all products please please test a small patch first, I would hate to see it have a reaction. It works a treat on steering wheels and gear knobs, I didn’t even realise the stitching on my hand brake leaver was blue!