Sign in to follow this  
f.g.

Light Weight Flywheel

OK,

car is a 87 325 (its of the E kind and prod date is 7/86)

so I have done some research (both on site and through google) and have found that there is no real market for a Lightweight flywheel

Questions:

1: is this true?

2: can I use a single mass and lighten that or is there a sensor that is dependent on it.

3: how light can I go

4: is there another car manufacture that has Lightweights that we can use in our cars, such as toyota or something?

5: which car has which size I know one is bigger than the other...

Thanks in advance!

F.G.

so then your car is a pre-face lift? which will mean it has 2 sensors in the gearbox bellhousing, and if you look on the flywheel there is a square point on the clutch side of it which gives it the readings.

i had mine lightened/balanced/machined. what they did was lathe off the lump on the block side of the flywheel up to the startmotor teeth i.e lightening it and they also ran a very small fraction of a pass on the clutch side as mine had small ripples/hills in it just to give a new flat surface.

this ended up weighing like 6.5 - 7kgs. i'd reccommend a new clutch while the gearbox is off aswell. and maybe have your driveshalf balanced aswell and new center hanger bearing. this is just what i did with mine. still yet to test it though.....

dont quote me but didn't the 323i have a factory lightened flywheel?

Aparently, according to the interwebs and Glenn, 323 does have the light flywheel.

Im getting mine machined down for the M50 swap, I hope it doesnt get so light that it becomes a biatch to drive :unsure:

im running a 6.23kgs custom on the s50. Is what i would call a perfect weight for road and track day work. With the right cocktail of redline gear box fluids there is almost no chatter. Only when it gets really hot which only happens when your running it hard. For m50/m20/m30 lightened and balanced m20 flywheels are perfect. I wouldnt really go for lighter than 6 kgs on cast metal. Its a bit risky. You can make a custom billet one for around 7-800. The lighter you go the more mecanical torque you will have however the more noise you will get from the gearbox and really light will make it hard to drive off the line. Excuse any typos di

d this on my phone.

im running a 6.23kgs custom on the s50. Is what i would call a perfect weight for road and track day work. With the right cocktail of redline gear box fluids there is almost no chatter. Only when it gets really hot which only happens when your running it hard. For m50/m20/m30 lightened and balanced m20 flywheels are perfect. I wouldnt really go for lighter than 6 kgs on cast metal. Its a bit risky. You can make a custom billet one for around 7-800. The lighter you go the more mecanical torque you will have however the more noise you will get from the gearbox and really light will make it hard to drive off the line. Excuse any typos di

d this on my phone.

Thanks for the advice

E21/E30 323 flywheel weighs 6.1kgs standard, I think ill only machine enough off for G260 clearance then! ;)

Out of curiosity, whats ya gear box cocktail, recommend it for the 260?

Hi, now that I have a real keyboard this will be a lot easier to type! :)

The mixer is a full bottle of redline 75w140 NS (make sure its NS) and top it up with Redline MT - 90 until the gearbox is full.

The mix is good for medium climates such as New Zealand.

Hi, now that I have a real keyboard this will be a lot easier to type! :)

The mixer is a full bottle of redline 75w140 NS (make sure its NS) and top it up with Redline MT - 90 until the gearbox is full.

The mix is good for medium climates such as New Zealand.

Cheers man, added to my list ;) , got any LSD fluid recommendations, I assume the 75w140 NS as well?

Sorry for the Semi-Hijack F.G :ph34r:

Edited by Jacko

Cheers man, added to my list ;) , got any LSD fluid recommendations, I assume the 75w140 NS as well?

Sorry for the Semi-Hijack F.G :ph34r:

No LSD's use specail sulpher based compression lubricants. To help lubricate the gears under extreme loads. 75w140 ns is staright gearbox oil.

The drift guys use Redline Shockproof, Heavy (red) version. its quite agressive though.

I used a castrol product in my, but for the track im looking at changing to a redline product.

You can get all this stuff from BNT.

No worries jacko I have been busy, I'm going to be in a TV series on MTV so I've been busy aswell,

IDK about my car being pre facelift...? I'm sorta new to the E30 scene (not cars just e30's)

I believe I have a G240 and I'll definatly look into just having it surfaced it has 214,000 miles (sorry don't know Klicks yet) on it I just hope its still good, I'm getting a new trans probably a g240 again and of course a new clutch... center bearing is probably not a bad idea either....

hows everything going in Christchurch? (general question)

F.G.