Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Going to paint my calipers...

Hi guys

When I get back from a training course I'm going to paint my calipers but just wondering how i should go about getting all the wheels off in a home environment at once. Don't have any car jacks or anything other than the one in the car...

All responses appreciated :)

you can use the factory jack to lift the car up but make sure you have axle stands under the car before you take the wheels off or go under the car. jacks can and sometimes do fail. borrow or buy some axle stands if you have to.

You'll need axle/jack stands, where in Auckland are you?

Im sure someone local could lend you some.

EDIT: Also, what colour are you painting them?

Edited by Blackie

You'll need axle/jack stands, where in Auckland are you?

Im sure someone local could lend you some.

EDIT: Also, what colour are you painting them?

I'm in Orakei, Central Auckland.

Well, I was going to go with red but I have a sort of black and white theme going on the car and since I'll likely be getting black wheels with a polished lip I'll probably go with white calipers, possibly an M decal on them.

Will turn out something like this is the goal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tristan

Any reason why you cant do it one at a time with the factory jack? You may want to buy a real one, quite handy. Some brake parts cleaner and a toothbrush are very handy for getting the muck off them quicksmart but dont get it on any painted surface.

you can use the factory jack to lift the car up but make sure you have axle stands under the car before you take the wheels off or go under the car. jacks can and sometimes do fail. borrow or buy some axle stands if you have to.

Pretty sure you're going to be placing some parts of you body under the car if he intends to do a half decent job of it

Pretty sure you're going to be placing some parts of you body under the car if he intends to do a half decent job of it

agreed thats one thing you wouldnt want to skimp on

Haha yes that and also, I want the car off the road for the least amount of time possible as it's my daily driver so that's why I'd rather not do one at a time.

I did my MR2 Calipers two at a time, but one at a time wouldnt have taken that much longer.

Jack it, take the wheel off, degreaser and one of those green dish scrubbers. Dry, mask, paint.

took 2 hours to do an oil change and clean all of the wheels and paint the calipers.

Haha yes that and also, I want the car off the road for the least amount of time possible as it's my daily driver so that's why I'd rather not do one at a time.

yeah so pm me if you wanna borrow the axle stands , i live just up from the orakei shore road roundabout

yeah so pm me if you wanna borrow the axle stands , i live just up from the orakei shore road roundabout

Oh mean as, that's alg - appreciate it ae. I'll let you know. Still gotta plan it out haha (clean out garage urghh)

Are you not planning on taking the caliper off, do a far better job with it off. Screw a bolt into the brake hose thread and away ya go.