Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

E30 Windscreen Replacement

Long story short,

Next door neighbours had a party on Sat night, people spilling out all over the street, paddy wagon etc, came home from a 21st in town in the E30, some stupid drunk twat decided it would be clever to block me in my own driveway and just stand there, kept rolling forward till I nudged his shins and he punched and broke the windscreen (it was f**ked anyway, but that's not the point).

ANYWAY...

Only have 3rd party insurance on the E30 (because it ain't worth anything) with no glass cover.

Have a spare windscreen from my old car to throw in, the question is, do I do I put it in myself or take it to someone else to do? Don't want it leaking etc turning a currently rust free E30 into one full of hidden rust.

Opinions and insights are welcome.

Cheers, Nathan

Do it yourself, its pretty easy but make sure the rubbers are good and surfaces are clean. Both cars I have done have had 20 years of crap underneath, the E30S50 actually had nothing underneath the rubber on the passengers side :blink:

^ If you can do it I am sure I can ;)

I have avoided paying anyone to do just about everything on this car and would prefer to keep it that way.

Cheers James

Any other fitting tips?

Will invest in a rubber strip fitting tool instead of using CRC and a butter knife like last time <_<

I did mine when I repainted the E30 and under the seal was perfect, no rust or rubbish!!

Took me 5mins to get out and like 2hours to get back in haha.

Ashkan DIY'd a tool to get the window back in the rubber insert?

Maybe he can show us a pic

^ There is a special tool you can buy from Supercheap IIRC.

Another dumb question, if I am replacing the windscreen obviously I won't have a WOF sticker on it anymore, do I go back to the place that did it and get a replacement or what? Obviously the cops have it on file etc but what about f**king parking wardens giving me a ticket for no current WOF?

Oh and thanks Lucan

Its not hard to do, have done several, dont need the tool really, although i have it if you want to borrow it.

If you are not keen to do it on your own, you can bring it to my place and i will show/help you.

^ Thanks for the offer Ian :)

I will give it a jam myself and see what happens, might come steal that tool though ;) will be in touch if needed.

Edited by Brams

i can lend a hand too if you want, easy to do, and a very usefull tip, soak the middle removable rubber peice in boiling water before refitting, makes the job 10 times easier.

Result.

Bit the bullet and did it myself, only took just under an hour.

Was stoked to peek under neath the window to body seal and see no moisture or rust at all :D

Fitting it in was easy, just the locking strip took a while, but managed to sort it with a butter knife and some morning fresh.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

So now Nathan - wrap the remains of the broken screen around the head of the muppet that broke it :angry:

^ I will hold onto it till I find out who the bastard is :angry:

Edited by Brams

^ There is a special tool you can buy from Supercheap IIRC.

Another dumb question, if I am replacing the windscreen obviously I won't have a WOF sticker on it anymore, do I go back to the place that did it and get a replacement or what? Obviously the cops have it on file etc but what about f**king parking wardens giving me a ticket for no current WOF?

Oh and thanks Lucan

You should be able to scrape it off with a blade and put it back on

i saw my mate do it when he replaced my windscreen

he is a glazier and thats what they do there

hey Nathan,

you should be able to fit it, just take your time, if you've fitted that bead before, you should be able to fit the screen.

make sure you cover the bonnet with a blanket, and remove the wipers first, get a helper to assist with lifting it in