Sign in to follow this  
martyyyn

E46 touring - what to look for

Some friends of mine want to buy an e46 touring. The budget is 10k possibly a little more for the right car and it needs to be clean as a whistle as they intend to keep it for the forseeable future as the family grows.

I dont know alot about the e46, so does anyone have any pointers ? Does anyone know of any for sale in Wellington ?

He says he would be happy with a 318 with no toys or leather, but he talks about his dad back in SA with his two e12 535m's with a twinkle in his eye so perhaps something a little bigger would fit the bill. An e39 touring is not completely out of the question either but I know those inside out already.

i brought my wife a e46 318 touting about 6 months ago, only issue we have had is the engine light came on and it took a couple of goes to get it right and in the end it was maf sensor, common fault same with oxygen sensor, make sure they get the tiptronic model 01 on as they have less faults, all in all the 318 is a gerat family car but if you want any pull go for a 328 and nothing less, but there are issues with these also like the engine ecu can get a fault wich shuts down a coil pack sometimes. still a great car non the less and much ore fun.

It's worth going 320 even for resale imo. So many 318s floating around it's crazy

TBH, they need a bit more than 10k to spend on a e46 station wagon , unless they dont mind a red one... Those are the only ones ive seen around 10, as im also trying to look for an e46 wagon.

I have been looking for a decent E46 wagon for my olds for quite a while, but then I am very fussy and very tight, so not easily pleased. There are certainly very few of the higher spec models around, with reasonable kms and at realistic prices.

They are not the biggest wagon in the world and the rear leg-room is not overly spacious, but neither is a real issue at present for them. On the up-side they do drive very well, are pretty comfortable in the front seats and have an acceptable level of equipment.

A couple of pictures of the E46 wagon that I finally managed to find for my old folks, a late 2004 330d M-Sport 6-spd manual with grey leather. Not perfect, but it is in pretty good overall condition, nothing a little bit of TLC can't fix (I hope).

post-2707-1286779545.jpg

post-2707-1286779563.jpg

post-2707-1286779612.jpg

And I managed to get it for under 10k <_<

Jon, is that a picture of the actual car? Are you importing it from GB or is it already in the country?

Nice one Jon, you know I looked at the surrounding houses and immediately knew it wasnt over here !

I was just cruising through ebay earlier....its amazing how cheap cars like this are over there now.

Jon, is that a picture of the actual car? Are you importing it from GB or is it already in the country?

Yup, that is the actual car, parked up outside Ma & Pa's house. In the UK at the moment, but hopefully coming out with them soon when they emigrate.

you know I looked at the surrounding houses and immediately knew it wasnt over here

What gave it away? The fact they are all touching one another, and there isn't any garden in sight? I kind of forget how crammed in the houses are now, it was just the norm over there.

plate was the first thing that gave it away for me lol and the fact that's its a very rare model

What gave it away? The fact they are all touching one another, and there isn't any garden in sight? I kind of forget how crammed in the houses are now, it was just the norm over there.

Garage door actually !

Nice car to buy. Chipped and mapped properly they are putting out close to m3 figures arent they ?

Edited by martyyyn