Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

Pretty much the most dangerous thing I've experienced in months.

Went to Boy's Day Out yesterday here, and it was alllll right sort of, until the drifting came on. Now I'm not a huge fan of show drifting, but when you are standing literally 2 meters away from the outside of the final clipping point with only temporary fence separating you from cars doing roughly 80-90kph at WOT and full lock; it becomes epic.

Brave camera work by SammyJ.

You should have heard people in the crowd after the first run past (video is of a later run), I think half the people moved away, most took steps back. Our ears got filled with melted rubber, I was spitting out bits for hours.

Back when I thought Drifting was cool.

i know what you mean by getting rubber in your ears, i went to the drifing in n.p and these guys managed to get pretty close when they messed up.

Ha ha! All awesome.

As the drifting demo progressed, the drivers became a lot more cocky and were pretty much hanging a wheel off on the grass there. One guy spun onto the grass and went straight at the fence just at the entry to the corner there, many people ran haha!

As one old school rally guy told me:

"Drifting is just rally for the cotton wool generation"

Really the only thing appealing about it was the good chance of getting crushed by a chainlink fence and getting cut into cubes :)

One thing i learnt years ago through MANY MANY cold days and nights standing in the middle of nowhere in some rally stage is NEVER EVER EVER stand next to ANYONE with a video camera. I know our race and rally members will atest to the fact that cars DO and WILL seek out video cameras no matter where they are.

It's ok i was standing next to a bigger guy with a bigger camera - so they would be drawn to him first... ^_^

Seeing cars like this kiss the ground sideways is what I mainly love about drifting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Pjay

Hahaha. Appreciating cars is like appreciating music, as I get older my tastes broaden but I always return to what I grew up on though, so I'm pretty sure this JDM/drift spec/slammed/wank wank phase will pass eventually.. Maybe... I doubt it.

Hahaha. Appreciating cars is like appreciating music, as I get older my tastes broaden but I always return to what I grew up on though, so I'm pretty sure this JDM/drift spec/slammed/wank wank phase will pass eventually.. Maybe... I doubt it.

You will get over it. Its a switch that just turns off one day. Even though my user name says Driftit. I despise it these days.