Sign in to follow this  
b mike w

Shortened shocks

I am looking to lower the front of my car cos' it sits lower in the back and looks ugly. I already have lowered springs all round its just the back ones are a bit saggy. I was wondering if it would be possible just to put shortened shocks in and that would lower the front without having to cut or buy new springs? I am looking at lowering it about 30-50mm and would also be getting shortend socks all round.

Are you meaning you want to lower where your spring seats on the shock? If so you might have clearance problems with your wheel.

I thought that normally when someone says they want to shorten a shock the shock body is moved further down. Thus making your shock useable (not bottoming out) at a lower ride height. This would not change the ride height.

Are you meaning you want to lower where your spring seats on the shock? If so you might have clearance problems with your wheel.

I thought that normally when someone says they want to shorten a shock the shock body is moved further down. Thus making your shock useable (not bottoming out) at a lower ride height. This would not change the ride height.

Yea I meant the first one sorry. Oh thats true, I didn't think about that one. Any suggestions as to what I could do?

Shortening shocks just means they won't bottom out with lowering springs/will keep lowering springs captive if they're not.

Shortened shocks doesn't lower your car, unless done excessively <_<

ok hmmm so maybe im just gonna have to buy some new springs so that i get a even ride height. bummer i was hoping there was gonna be a cheaper option. thanks anyway guys

Cheap (ish) option.

Compress your current springs

Or raise the back by putting an appropriate spacer in...

Just remember guys, your car sits on the springs, the shocks don't have any control over the height of your car. The shocks act as a damper on the amount of bounce and rebound your car produces when the spring is compressed and released. The only reason you'd shorten your shock, in a road car, is to retain captive springs.

I think OP was thinking to cut off where the praying mantis is. Lower it down and re-weld it on.Posted Image

I'm quite sure this would need a cert.

It would definitely need a cert.

More importantly, you can't go far without hitting the tyre.

The only way to lower your car and have it still corner and be safe is to do it properly.

This doesn't mean spending alot of money.

You can have a pretty low e30 with off-the-shelf lowering springs. Buy a good brand liek H&R for a few hundy, and you'll be happy with the result.

Remeber, you'll probably find that your shocks will be wrecked running lowered springs on stock shocks. To put in correct shocks you're looking at spending $1,000-2,000. The difference however is night and day, and this is without going to a coil-over setup.

Double your money (or more) and you'll be looking at something very decent. I'm not sure what henry has spent, but that's what I mean by very decent.

Also rememebr that if any of the chassis, suspension, or steering is below 100mm from the ground you will need a cert or you risk getting a greeny or pinky = $$$$$ better off spending the money now and doing it right and enjoying a good setup than doing it on the cheap, getting some fines and maybe killing someone.

The only way to lower your car and have it still corner and be safe is to do it properly.

This doesn't mean spending alot of money.

You can have a pretty low e30 with off-the-shelf lowering springs. Buy a good brand liek H&R for a few hundy, and you'll be happy with the result.

Remeber, you'll probably find that your shocks will be wrecked running lowered springs on stock shocks. To put in correct shocks you're looking at spending $1,000-2,000. The difference however is night and day, and this is without going to a coil-over setup.

Double your money (or more) and you'll be looking at something very decent. I'm not sure what henry has spent, but that's what I mean by very decent.

Also rememebr that if any of the chassis, suspension, or steering is below 100mm from the ground you will need a cert or you risk getting a greeny or pinky = $$$$$ better off spending the money now and doing it right and enjoying a good setup than doing it on the cheap, getting some fines and maybe killing someone.

^^very true, is there a difference in ride height with stock e30 suspension and 'motorsport suspension'?

^yes, motorsport springs are about 20mm lower, also i believe all motorsport suspension uses bilstein shocks?