Sign in to follow this  
lowrev

Is this a good buy?

It has been on trademe for a long time...

The price is fair but without looking at it and the fact it has been on there for so long I would reccomend a full on check by a suitable workshop.

Yeah like at least 18 months.....

Obviously it'll probably have a jatco, but if you negotiate him down and get Ray to do a manula conversion it could be a good buy!

It has been on trademe for a long time...

The price is fair but without looking at it and the fact it has been on there for so long I would reccomend a full on check by a suitable workshop.

HP and trim levels usuall, the 325i had 191hp VS 323i with 174hp (from memory)

M50B25 = 325i

M52B25 = 323i (late model E36's)

M54B25 = Z3 2.5 more power and torques.

M52B28 = 328i

Its BMW trying to "balance" the 3 series range, Early E36 325 makes as much power as later 328, so when the 328 and M52's came out the 325 became the 323 and got a strangled M52B25. Its a 323 and not a 325 because they couldnt have older 325's being quicker than new 325's

Aparently its relatively easy to de-strangle a M52B25 323 though, and get more performance out of it.

Edit - Didnt make much sense :blink:

Edit x2 - Still didnt make much sense :blink::blink:

Edited by Jacko

Yeah like at least 18 months.....

Obviously it'll probably have a jatco, but if you negotiate him down and get Ray to do a manula conversion it could be a good buy!

Sorry but what is a "jatco"? Lol. I'm a total newb when it comes to these things. :unsure: Thanks to all who replied :)

^ It's an auto transmission fitted to Japanese assembled e36's and e34's with M50 engines. They can flare when changing gears and/or be jerky (a'la jatco jerk) when changing from 1st to 2nd, particularly bad when cold.

^ It's an auto transmission fitted to Japanese assembled e36's and e34's with M50 engines. They can flare when changing gears and/or be jerky (a'la jatco jerk) when changing from 1st to 2nd, particularly bad when cold.

Oh I see, thanks Cale :D

Most m52b25 (323 e36) have an alloy block. About 20 kilos lighter then the earlier blocks. They are not as strong as the earlier blocks though. Overheated alloy blocks are a much bigger problem then an overheated iron block. All m50-52 engines are known for having cooling system problems which can and do cause them to overheat.

Where jacko has said the 323 is strangled is kind of correct. If you look at a dyno of both engines you find that the later model makes better power down low (where most people drive their car everyday). The early 325's do better in the upper rev range. This is because of different intake manifolds. The 323's have a more narrow intake that increases the air velocity at low rpms

I think it more comes down to how you want to use the car. Really there isn't a lot of difference between the m50b25, m52b25 and the m52b28. Having never driven the b20's I wont comment on them. I'm also only talking about the m50b25tu (the one with vanos)

If i was looking for a new e36 right now i'd be making sure it didn't have a jatco gearbox and the service history shows no signs of the engine overheating.

The reason I wouldn't go for a jatco gearbox is because they are known to cause trouble. Unless you plan on replacing it. Atleast $1500 for a good replacement

Spend a bit more and buy mine - it has 3 pedals instead of 2, no jatco to worry about. Only 70k and no cooling /. overheating issues. Plus its a motorsport coupe with bodykit and sports seats etc.