Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Something up with telecom.

I match you for ping and upload but fail at download :(

Posted Image

Edited by Jamez

I get ultra slow readings when I test using the Wellington server, so went with Auckland and get what I should be getting

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats about as good as it gets at our place, (suburban Christchurch) but then I have been known to wander up the street to get cell coverage! At least it is better than the Cook Islands!

Posted Image

Thats from Papatoetoe

Edited by C0SM0S

Posted Image

Pretty sure the exchange is next door for us :P

e: gotta love uni internet :P

Posted Image

Edited by JFry

awesome! I'm right on the edge of the 10mbps zone! and the zone is tiny. like 1 block tiny.

thats sitting at my desk in the office... at home using vpn it's only 10Mb and 5Mb

I get ultra slow readings when I test using the Wellington server, so went with Auckland and get what I should be getting

Posted Image

wtf i get this and im not far from you!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't know about anybody else but my internet connection speed seems to have doubled over the past couple of weeks. I have noticed when downloading that when i am expecting something to take 1/2 an hour its done in a few minutes. Don't get me wrong this is fantastic but is dangerous when you are on the pro plan with only 40 gig as that can get chewed up very quickly when you are getting speeds like this.

Posted Image

Damn - checked my Dlink modem and even though it's running ADSL 2plus modulation the sync speed is only 7.5Mbps. Thats basically what I got when it was running on ADSL1 modulation. I guess I have to call Telecom and ask for an explanation. I have heard of this happening but that was supposed to be modems supplied companies other than Telecom.

7547 downstream? Upgrade your firmware

http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1360

Yep the data rate is 7547 and there is no help I can find on the Telecom site related to this specific problem, which I can tell from looking at the web is a problem that ocurrs often enough.

My modem is the D-link DSL-G604T Generation II. It has a hardware version of C3 and firmware version of V3.00B01T01.TX.20070315 (dates from 15th of March 2007). The D-link support site only finds the older vertical standing G604 when I search support, but when I made an email support case it listed the GenII model.

Got to wonder how many users this may be affecting. Syncing at 7547kbps when it should be closer to 24000kbps is quiet a fail.

Edited by jimbo

http://telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps

My epenix is bigger:

Posted Image

Thats a damn handy map - pity Telecom retail doesn't link to it. Found out my exchange went ADSL2 ages ago. Cabinet on it's way June next year,

7547 kbps is a fallback bitrate when your modem is connected to but not compatible for ADSL2+.

You can force ADSL1 through to connect at 7616 kbps or download more recent firmware to make this modem compatible.

Alternatively, you can request Telecom to switch off interleaving OFF on your line which the modem will recognise and sync up at ADSL2+ rates. This is really a work around though and I recommend upgrading the modem firmware or purchasing a new modem.

Edited by Pjay

7547 kbps is a fallback bitrate when your modem is connected to but not compatible for ADSL2+.

You can force ADSL1 through to connect at 7616 kbps or download more recent firmware to make this modem compatible.

Alternatively, you can request Telecom to switch off interleaving OFF on your line which the modem will recognise and sync up at ADSL2+ rates. This is really a work around though and I recommend upgrading the modem firmware or purchasing a new modem.

Hi Pjay. Thanks for the help. I learnt something today! You are a handy person to know, and with great taste in cars too. Telecom are shipping me a replacement Thompson modem.

Also, for anyone who doesn't know, on the last day of your billing month, you can download as much as you want at full speeds regardless if you've gone over your allowance already.

This is correct^^^ our last day of billing, and we are actually over the cap but it is now back at full speed but our usage does not change...very cool!!

wtf i get this and im not far from you!!

weird, even the lowest level cable plans are 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up

Hampton Downs Internet FTW - Only limit is the PC your using then the 100mb/s internal network. If I connect at the main cabnet here we get 1Gb/s national speed :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

edit - historic result on a faster PC

Posted Image

Edited by April