Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

My car on the track, onboard.

Just a few clips.

Engine overview. A doridori slide. And some boost pulls. Thanks to Sam in the 325i Ex-JiB machine for showing the difference in acceleration. From out of the hairpin it just bolts away, and in the final clip once 4th gear is hooked it puts lengths on at an acceptable rate for only 7psi.

14psi with link g4 plugin board (antilag and flatshifting included) and injectors before Christmas :D :D

Oh the link

Awesome Vid!!

Nice!

The video doesn't do justice IMO, the car is just something else when you're actually a passenger.

The acceleration in 1st and 2nd is massive, really gets off the line. But in the vid there is really only 3rd gear and above, so perception is decreased.

And yeah haha Sam has very nice brakes, really slows down fast from high speed, he was trying to catch up, just slightly tooooo hard.

Dam im really missing out. Love both the cars fellas

looks like a great day, car looks fast. I am going to try to get out there Sunday for the Dual Sprint, cant wait to get back on the track!

That was so cool!! Keep them coming please.

There was a Series 1 RX7 racecar with a 1UZ in it that I was battling later in the day. Running a link/stripped out/cage etc:

Dead even with it down the straight in my car. Bring on 1 bar of boost, gonna be keeping up with Jason down the straight :D Possibly anyway haha!

ahhh ok i can see it now...

you can hear wind noise, and the sunroof crap flapping around must be the side windows open...

passengers with no cage and windows open... :unsure:

Do you really think having the side windows up would help passengers arms flying out of car in the event of a rollover? The windows would shatter like crisp poppadoms!

It's not a race event, just a casual trackday that millions of people go in every year with no cage, and a lot of the time with passengers. It's a risky sport, just earlier on the day this video was taken a motorcyclist came off his bike at the end of the straight when his engine locked up, he was just a student, basic leathers and a nice wee road bike. Smashed 1 ankle and 1 wrist and some ribs. The ambulance was on site all day, and got to him within 40 seconds.

It's safer to be in a car with a somewhat experienced pilot than to be on New Zealand roads. Sure there is a chance of mechanical failure happening around the 140kph corner 'Pothole', but that is part of the risk, part of the fun for people who choose to watch my car do some crazy stuff around the track, then choose to get in.

Covering most bases here with a long reply ahaa.

* oh and I spent a lot of the day sitting in the passenger seats of people who wanted driver training, did about 5 people. No cages, dodgy newbies who only brake once you tell them to, some cars much faster then mine and lots of tank slapping and lines all over the place. I'd much rather be a passenger in my car lol

Edited by Incary

My personal thoughts...

No Passengers for a couple reasons:

1) Red Mist: Most people will and DO try and go faster than they are comfortable with typically with someone in the car. A lot of it comes down to the person driving and attitudes.

2) Passengers Fear: You had it, you passenger told you to slow down. Inexperienced driver will try and slow down mid-corner, i've known a few people to have crashes because of this. And know of two very scary ones - passenger pulled the handbrake on the driver, and the other was the driver lost it slightly on gravel the passenger got scared and grabbed their arm. Now i know this typically doesn't happen to those on a track but the

3) Passenger isn't strapped in properly: You can clearly see in your video particularly with your male friend how much he moves across in his seat into your area, potentially interfering with your movements driving. There is nothing to brace themselves on properly, your male friend is holding on just by your gearstick.

Windows do provide a layer of protection, yes they can shatter but it's still a layer of protection your removing. Also I'm thinking more about you hitting a wall/another car than a rollover. One of the trackdays i was at a manfield a supra lost it coming onto the main straight and went cross track into the tire wall (didn't shatter the side windows), then spun and slide along the passengers side of the car (shattering the side window) thats the incidents where the windows up provide the safety. They do happen.

The same arguments can be made about Fire Extinguishers - why do i need to run one at a casual trackday.

It's a general rule that every trackday I've been to either racing, helped marshal, watched at has run by. It's there for your protection and the others around you. Did the trackday organisors specify who could and who couldn't run passengers?

Comparing cars to bikes is just silly.

I'm a cautious person when it comes to going fast with people - I've been in a few cars that have crashed, and helped pull too many friends out of ditches or out of bad wrecks (including seeing one pirouette over one of those white road marker poles on the roadside nose down then landing on it's roof) - maybe it's not required but my personal thoughts are that should be the standard.

You know one of the most common injuries in car crashes for a passenger is a broken ankle?

Edited by DRTDVL

Nice video man, always appreciate your enthusiasm and showy nature, nothing wrong with a bit of showing off. Would love to see you at the next Bimmersport trackday, maybe you could give us all some pointers and start a punch up with James, the North Island Stig.

I always have my windows a jar on track days, the organisers normally tell me too. The Passenger thing is a funny one, I have set my best time at Pukekohe with a passenger in the car so the red mist works for me and I have no problem with them in the car.

Thanks for the pointers there Heath. Track Newbies: take note.

My car was one of 4 cars with passengers, and the only non-caged one, as stipulated by the organisers. It helps when you take the organsier out and do some 'big duriftos', every young gun hero looooves 'big duriftos', and you basicly become 'the man' by using the throttle too much, turning in too hard and then letting go of the 9deg caster assisted steering wheel.

I took my MidRear virginity at the last track day, so the remaining driver theory became real in those short 5 laps, so a few more years, some targa, and a few more thousand hours and I'll have to buy a white helmet and live a double life!!!

There was a Series 1 RX7 racecar with a 1UZ in it that I was battling later in the day. Running a link/stripped out/cage etc:

Dead even with it down the straight in my car. Bring on 1 bar of boost, gonna be keeping up with Jason down the straight :D Possibly anyway haha!

I had a wee play with him when I was out there last, he was suprised how well my car went and what was under the bonnet, maybee a little more boost Henry? , still gonna leave me for dust in the corners!

I bet he was indeed surprised with your power! He was talking about putting 2 turbos on his 1UZ next year. He reckoned he had 230hp at the wheels on the dyno currently.

I myself will be aiming for about 260hp at the wheels. Maybe 300 with some camber correction...

I bet he was indeed surprised with your power! He was talking about putting 2 turbos on his 1UZ next year. He reckoned he had 230hp at the wheels on the dyno currently.

I myself will be aiming for about 260hp at the wheels. Maybe 300 with some camber correction...

Yours will be a weapon, handling and power, mine is currently 331hp at the wheels after the final tune, pretty happy. i think me and Atta are heading out to the track (weather permitting ) Tue afternoon if your keen?

I might just come out for a ride in your car :D, 331hp in a BMW would be quite an experience haha. My wee weapon is resting, the R888's are bald, and it's waiting for a muffler and a cert.