Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

attn 24V E30 guys!

what are/were you guys running in your swaps (past or present)?

I have a M40 one in mine but it needs to be replaced. was cracked when i put it in, and im not sure if its got worse because its running too much heat/volume etc or just normal.

Whats the biggest radiator i can use with a built in expansion tank?

Is E36M42 radiator bigger than the M40 one? and if so will it fit E30?

Dont want to run the M20 rad as would rather the built in expansion tank.

Tried an E34M50 one but its too wide :(

If anyone has another larger option it would be great to hear.

Custom if u can? would be better.. could get it how u want it, keep it nice and cool, and it'd be new

was seriously considering this today actually, and if another M40 radiator is the only option i probably will

The e36m42 one I had was bigger than the e30 m40 ones ive seen. Im pretty sure they fit, you just need the different length mounting arms.

The e36 m5x radiators are pretty big, they dont have the built in tank, but it is similar and clips on the side, you would probaly have to make up some brackets to mount the tank.

If anyone has an M42 one lying around (e30 or e36) if you could measure the distance between the two feet would be good :)

Andy, we use the larger E30 M40 one in the E30 M54B30 race car with no overheating problems yet. No viscous either, just a switchable electric fan in front which is turned on when we come off the track.

e36 m50/m52 use 2 sizes , smaller one is like 4cyl type but a bit bigger.

comon in NZ new e36 320i 323i 325i 328i etc

like this

post-279-1286777542.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Andy, we use the larger E30 M40 one in the E30 M54B30 race car with no overheating problems yet. No viscous either, just a switchable electric fan in front which is turned on when we come off the track.

Are there two different E30 M40 radiators?? maybe thats where i went wrong, my one is slightly two narrow for the mounting arms in the E30, its secure though. Does that sound like yours?

I have a switchable fan too, thought its hard wired till i cant be bothered poking wires for a switch through

Yeah there are 2 sizes, you want the tropical one, goes from one rail right across to the other, has the same small mount bracket on each side.

okay that definately sounds like the one i want then! If you could post a pic and/or dimensions of what im looking at that would be great so i can keep an eye open!

Thanks so much for your help as always!

..if anyone has got a good one let me know ha

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Got mine new from Silverdale Radiators, this one.

Part Number: SR BMW02

Core Sizes

440mm (Between Side Tanks)

440mm (Between Top & Bottom Plates)

38mm (Thickness 2 Row)

It was auction number http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=295827103

Edited by Silver Fox

that part number comes up with suitable for M50 525i. I went to pickapart today and pulled the radiator from exactly that today (was a non vanos so probably a 91?) and test fitted it in an E30 facelift and it was too wide. didnt have a tape to measure it but does that sound right to you? i dont want to be buying something and finding out it wont work, especially new products

Sorry Andy, I put you wrong, mine is the 440 x 440 one, have changed the above post.

that sounds more like it! will sit on that for a few days and see if i can track down a second hand one and see what price people want for them. but it seems they do offer a good price for a new radiator.. ive never brought one new so i dont know the normal price though

Thanks for your help!!