Sign in to follow this  
_Matt_

Tyre Advice

I am going to need 4 new tires this month. Id like some advice before investing in them.

at the moment i have Yokohama 225/50/R16s on there and wondered if i should get some more of those or are there better options?

I wouldn't like to spend anymore than say $120 per tyre. I might even go for use tires if i can.

TIA

The last set of tyres on my car were Yokohamas and I found them to be rather noisy.

If you want tyre advice then ask zenetti (johno). he's the local authority on tyres.

PMed Johno, also, a price for some new lowering springs would be nice also :)

what model yoko do ya have currently? adrive? s drive?

Speaking from a tyre fitters position an with my 3 years of experience in the industry.

Being budget concious could see you in the mid to low end of the hankook range like there h405 pattern, good tyre, good for low road noise an pretty good for mileage for the money in my experience. just my 2c do have other options but think they may be out your budget range. eg toyo proxes 4's Gt radial champiro 228's etc

As for the lowering springs have ya tired keith from H&R? very accommodating guy imo.

Edited by GASTKR

I had GTRadials and they were everything i demanded from them, i drove hard on them and they wouldnt let go without trying to make them do that, and they were quiet. I have Direzzas on the twincam now, cant comment on road noise as i have a roudy exhaust, but as far as grip goes im more than happy with them too, especially for a 55 profile tyre. would buy either again for sure

Speaking from a tyre fitters position an with my 3 years of experience in the industry.

Being budget concious could see you in the mid to low end of the hankook range like there h405 pattern, good tyre, good for low road noise an pretty good for mileage for the money in my experience. just my 2c do have other options but think they may be out your budget range. eg toyo proxes 4's Gt radial champiro 228's etc

As for the lowering springs have ya tired keith from H&R? very accommodating guy imo.

cheers for the input guys.

I have c.drive :) what does that mean?

Ill make sure I ask about the hankook rage when i get some fitted :) they doo look the part for a low budget tyre...I may have to hold out on the springs as my wallet looks a bit sad at the moment. but ill get some quotes while I look for tyres.

Well said. Unfortunately 16" tyres are just plain expensive. The H405 is hardly a performance tyre but ticks the boxes for low noise, good mileage, and value for money. We classify them as a "touring" tyre.

If you could go up to around $150-$180 per tyre then you will get a much better performance tyre.

BTW Matt - PM finally sent :)

Well said. Unfortunately 16" tyres are just plain expensive. The H405 is hardly a performance tyre but ticks the boxes for low noise, good mileage, and value for money. We classify them as a "touring" tyre.

If you could go up to around $150-$180 per tyre then you will get a much better performance tyre.

BTW Matt - PM finally sent :)

yea 16s in comparison is expensive 17s an 18s are becoming more cost effective haha. an yea that budget range would gain ya access to some more performance orientated tyres

Thanks for that bible :) - So i guess the c.drive is quite a good tyre . To bad they have negative tread haha.

Edited by _Matt_

c drives are not to bad in my opinion. out of the yoko selection my prefference is A drive R1's but there are other options out there. do lots of review reading of what people have tried an tested on cars similar to yours is what i would recommend to help make your decision.

Will do...

A little unrelated query. I was told by 'suspension' that the legal height for a vehicle is 100mm from the ground at the lowest structural point.

well, that seems to be the middle section of my muffler and it looks to already be at 120mm.

Yet he also said 45mm would be the lowest i could drop.

Id love to drop the front by about 40mm (that would bring my oil sump to about 100mm from the ground, dodgy?)

And i guess the back by 20mm.

this would probably still stay legal. Would it ruin the stance?

Will do...

A little unrelated query. I was told by 'suspension' that the legal height for a vehicle is 100mm from the ground at the lowest structural point.

well, that seems to be the middle section of my muffler and it looks to already be at 120mm.

Yet he also said 45mm would be the lowest i could drop.

Id love to drop the front by about 40mm (that would bring my oil sump to about 100mm from the ground, dodgy?)

And i guess the back by 20mm.

this would probably still stay legal. Would it ruin the stance?

Your muffler is not considered a structural point. Structural points are generally chassis rails or cross members (or the sump in your case :lol: ).. Most BMW kits do lower the front more than the rear and tend to even out the "stance".

haha, nice one matt :rolleyes:

yea the front needs some super lowering. Once work slows down a bit ill find time to pop into mag and tyre and sort it out B)

Edited by _Matt_

Got the Hankooks on today for a sweet deal :)

Courtney was not happy you gave them to me so cheap Johno ;)

Cheers.

P.S, no more fishtailing woohoo.

Minor Hijack, but what am I looking at $ wise for two 215/45/17 Hero Milanza's ? Who stocks them?

Wheels I bought had them on, i rate them pretty highly, shed loads better than other chinese tyres ive driven on, better than some of the name brands ive had.

Problem is the car they came offs camber has chewed the inside down too a gnats cock to the canvas, gonna need some new ones.

Ideally id like a wheel alignment and balance at the same time as fitting.

Anyone know of anyone? :blink:

Edited by Jacko

Minor Hijack, but what am I looking at $ wise for two 215/45/17 Hero Milanza's ? Who stocks them?

Wheels I bought had them on, i rate them pretty highly, shed loads better than other chinese tyres ive driven on, better than some of the name brands ive had.

Problem is the car they came offs camber has chewed the inside down too a gnats cock to the canvas, gonna need some new ones.

Ideally id like a wheel alignment and balance at the same time as fitting.

Anyone know of anyone? :blink:

The distributor for Hero tyres is an outfit in Hamilton called "The Bling Company". They're a forum sponsor of nzhondas.com.

http://theblingcompany.com/

if you register on the nzhondas forum, you can pm them directly for a price. Hero tyres are made in China but they're a subsidiary of Federal out of Taiwan. Hence why their tread designs are quite similar to Federal tyres.