Sign in to follow this  
f.g.

Help the Silly American....

Stubbies, still worn by tradesmen and road workers NZ wide no matter if its 40degc or -2 deg c

I think you will find most, now wear rugby shorts (which are also small tight shorts)

The last time i wore stubbies has to be at least 20 years ago for school, I can't actually see any man asking or looking for somewhere that sell stubbies anymore...So IMO stubbies are a thing of the past and only resurected from op shops for dress ups or retro parties!!

what are some things you guys like to do...

Fish, go to the beach, play touch rugby/sport, friends come home from abroad for christmas...so camp, road trips/piss trip etc

one of the strangest things you may find is christmas in summer (i know i found the same when in the UK for christmas)

Edited by cliffdunedin

antil33t

I understand that I could get all these answers on my own but I appreciate the uniquely kiwi view on the subject matter, as well as it seems to be a good time for everyone...

Seriously, that page is fkin amusing.

I showed it to Matt-B from R3V/E30Tech, and he made up stupid one liners using the words... he seems to think stubbies come from the Dairy?

Oh, and I like to burn couches and get overly pissed in the weekend.

Edited by antil33t

Ok New Topic, Profanity!

I'm going to be working in a shop, so I should probably know when I'm being called something. also I don't want to accidentally tell grandma to F off. so is the normal American piece sign ok to use or steer away? (index and middle finger extended in the shape of a v and palm towards self)

Also any job opening that anyone may know of in the south island relating to Auto, diesel, or industrial repair please let me know!

thanks all!

Bryan

Palm towards you = giving the middle finger to someone

Palm away from you = peace

Dont use it though.

Everyone will think you're a skinking hippie.

sweet thats what I thought ^_^ what about bad words? wanker still applys I'm guessing, is it even bad? what about bloody? and you know stuff like that?

BTW whats up with "bob's you uncle" hell is that?

sweet thats what I thought ^_^ what about bad words? wanker still applys I'm guessing, is it even bad? what about bloody? and you know stuff like that?

f**k and c**t are my most used words.

But not to customers. Unless they are cocky's.... then they probably swear more than you.

Here's a new word for ye, "bugger" that's a pretty acceptable word.

http://www.chemistry.co.nz/kiwi.htm

The kiwi populace is fairly loose lipped when it comes to profanities, and generally its swearing and cursing being directed at pieces of machinery.

We also don't seem to care much about tame swearing on TV / Radio compared to the US, its not a pad place to start to work out what is acceptable.

Have a nosy here as well

Kiwi Slang <-- pretty much what antil33t posted

Edited by Phatputer

BTW whats up with "bob's you uncle" hell is that?

Bob's your uncle is just basically like saying "it's that easy" or "just like that etc".

For example, when giving instructions.

Take SH1 for 400kms, turn left, and bobs your uncle.

Someone needs to find him the "many uses of the word piss" ad.

Depending on what low level of friends you make, c*nt may be the word with the largest variations of meaning. "a good c*nt" is the exact opposite of a "real c*nt"

Some slang it could be prudent to know.

meke (pronounced: mehkey/mickey) = choice, bro. IE: churr, thats a tight e30 you have there. that shits meke as!

mint = see meke

choice - see meke

churr - Means positive acceptance. IE: "got me some mean as weed cuz. Wanna sesh?" "churrr bro"

good cu*t - Good person, term of endearment. socially acceptable in most circles.

Most importantly, there is a prevailing belief in this country that BMW Driver = Wanker. (btw, wanker is mild cuss word here, much like a**hole)

Also, if things are a little more complex than "bobs your uncle" allows for, then use "bobs your auntie".

watch a few seasons of Outrageous Fortune and you'll learn a lot about the language kiwi's use

Never heard "Bob's your Auntie" I do like that though, may have to put that one to use