Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

Job for Jack =)

Hey,

School year is over for me on the 8th, so I have 3 months to totally concentrate on getting out and racing. Since Im only 16 its hard to afford the Koni's, the wheels, tyres and the rest.

I've exhuasted most other mainstream jobs at Subway, fast food places, shops etc. Problem is no one wants to train up a youngster and have to pay the same for a trained ready to work adult. And since the labour govt got rid of the kid rate which was cheaper and got people to want to employee its even harder.

A long shot but thought I could put something up on here, if anyone has a use for me, I don't care for minium wage, if its around the automotive area I would appreciate just being round making coffee, assy jobs no one wants. Im doing a year long automotive course next year but at the moment I only have a basic knowledge of the serious stuff. I know my cars, mostly BMW's, ( i guess everyone on here knows the same amount or much more =) )

Im pretty good with computers, all that sort of stuff like any other teenager. But im probably above average. I study business studies and Im pretty good at wood work but this isn't the career I want to do just something to get me away from books, each day =)

If anyone has any ideas or offers for me. Would really appreciate it.

Edited by Gotheschu

Not a job offer but an idea ....

Most kiwis act like sheep and don't want to be different from the rest. It is a pity but that is reality. What young people can't understand or rather don't want to understand is that in this world, is that you don't look at the problem from the other side - the employers side.

Effectively your time is free as you are unemployed. Have a think what your dream job is or what industry you would like to work in. Identify up to 5 companies you would like to work for and go see the HR person in those companies. Instead of asking if there is a job, ask if you can do some work experience and offer to work for free. Say you want to see if this is the career you want to be and rather than wait for something to come up, you would like to donate your time for a 2 week period to learn and try the industry before you pursue a career in it. If your pitch is good, the HR person will engage in your story and open the door for you. You try it for 2 weeks and if you like it, things may develop. If you hate the job, then at least you will know without staining your career record.

Obviously it won't work in some trades like brain surgery etc but having some face time in front of a possible employer, will help you to try before you buy and the employer may offer you some work after the period if you are any good.

I have employed many 'work experience' kids in my business mainly because they showed initiative and demonstrated they wanted to be there rather than 'needing a job' and in today's world of generation Y, showing genuine interest is what we employers are looking at when you walk in the door.

Something to think about ....

i was washing dishes at sky city to pay for gas. Shifted to portering at the hotel and was earning anywhere between $50 - $150 a night in tips...

I started working for a friends catering service at the age of 14 washing dishes, prepping food etc. Did that for about 2 years but wanted something with a roster so I applied at Burgerfuel last June and got the job was only there 6 months cause the opportunity arose to leave NZ and study over here in Barcelona.

I have already had them email twice to ask if there was any chance I would be coming home early because they needed me at the store. Just shows that once you do get a job WORK HARD, employers do notice and once you do leave they will be more than happy to offer you a job back/ give you a good reference.

Keep at it mate, I was lucky I got experience when I was young. Experience is almost everything now days.

a part time internship would be the way to go, best way to learn some skills. Work hard and you will most definitely get a job out of it.

Most kiwis act like sheep and don't want to be different from the rest. It is a pity but that is reality. What young people can't understand or rather don't want to understand is that in this world, is that you don't look at the problem from the other side - the employers side.

Effectively your time is free as you are unemployed. Have a think what your dream job is or what industry you would like to work in. Identify up to 5 companies you would like to work for and go see the HR person in those companies. Instead of asking if there is a job, ask if you can do some work experience and offer to work for free. Say you want to see if this is the career you want to be and rather than wait for something to come up, you would like to donate your time for a 2 week period to learn and try the industry before you pursue a career in it. If your pitch is good, the HR person will engage in your story and open the door for you. You try it for 2 weeks and if you like it, things may develop. If you hate the job, then at least you will know without staining your career record.

Obviously it won't work in some trades like brain surgery etc but having some face time in front of a possible employer, will help you to try before you buy and the employer may offer you some work after the period if you are any good.

I have employed many 'work experience' kids in my business mainly because they showed initiative and demonstrated they wanted to be there rather than 'needing a job' and in today's world of generation Y, showing genuine interest is what we employers are looking at when you walk in the door.

Something to think about ....

Yea I get what you mean. Thats changed the way Im thinking. Problem is I kind of have no idea what I really want to end up as.

Experience is what I've been trying to gain. Trying to set my self apart from the rest, so when I decide what career I would like to do, I will look good.

I still have a little web design company going online, and i sell products for people at a commission, as you said I thought to myself instead of working at subway ( can't get there anyway :/ ) but you get the idea. I thought doing my own little businesses gains me experience of the market, which I've believed is twice as good as written qualifications. I've got a passion for business and just gaining experience in it. I don't know if Im set from the rest yet but I want to get myself to a point where I am, so Im ready when I know what I want to do =)

If you are just out to earn short term money, I suggest hitting up the local supermarkets, they employ more over xmas period - even if you just want casual/on call shifts, easy money. You can earn $15 just standing behind a checkout. It ain't pretty but it pays the bills.

^ Werd.

I did my 3 1/2 years on checkout.

Customer service/people skills looks great on your CV regardless of where you want to go next.

^ Werd.

I did my 3 1/2 years on checkout.

Customer service/people skills looks great on your CV regardless of where you want to go next.

Exactly, although 7years and I still can't get out <_<

i worked a week at an office as an assistant admin, they only needed me for one week, but ended up working over 400 hours there during high school holidays. Get yourself a job 1st, then show "Trying to set my self apart from the rest". I dont want to be an office assistant, but it looks good on your CV and displays a level of maturity and responsibility that most kids at the same age dont have.

Working at subway and getting to a managers position is also something you might want to think about, plus its flexible hours, so you can work 2 jobs at the same time.

Yea I get what you mean. Thats changed the way Im thinking. Problem is I kind of have no idea what I really want to end up as.

Experience is what I've been trying to gain. Trying to set my self apart from the rest, so when I decide what career I would like to do, I will look good.

I still have a little web design company going online, and i sell products for people at a commission, as you said I thought to myself instead of working at subway ( can't get there anyway :/ ) but you get the idea. I thought doing my own little businesses gains me experience of the market, which I've believed is twice as good as written qualifications. I've got a passion for business and just gaining experience in it. I don't know if Im set from the rest yet but I want to get myself to a point where I am, so Im ready when I know what I want to do =)

The biggest skill that you need to learn is people skills. You can't buy it, learn about it at school or even read about it. It is the skill that will allow you to build a business or even an empire. Knowledge is important but if you want to get have a real business some day, you will need to employ people to work for you and for that reason only, you need to have people skills to teach them and eventually they will respect your position.

Everyone has there own pathway, but at your age I thought I wanted to work in hospital labs (think it was the attraction of nurses at the time lol). Anyway that feel through and saw an advert for being a trainee manager in a supermarket chain. In hindsight, it was the best career move I could have made as I was working for someone else, made lots of mistakes in people skills but learned from them, got sent to different branches to work and made sure I didn't repeat the mistakes and built up a huge understanding about motivating staff and how to set the culture of the workplace.

At your age, you think it is about getting rich as quickly as possible (& I was the same at your age). There is nothing wrong with that. The reality is that you will be a lot richer if you take the long position and focus at this time in your life, to gain people skills. Don't flame me but one company that will take young people and then promote them quickly is McDonalds. Forget about what they make or sell and focus on the skills they will teach you. If you can handle the work and set your goals on being a shift manager, then you will embark on a proven training system designed by corporates. You will quickly learn those 'people skills' and at age 20, have a skill set that will be respected by employers everywhere. On the otherhand, stay with them long enough and you could own your own store and become very rich.

Sorry for the speech but I mentor a lot of people and businesses. Hope this helps :)

Don't be afraid to work for free(like, offer a free day for a trial or something). Once you have your foot in the door, you're set IMO.

Great suggestion, but i think he needs to know what it is exactly he wants as a career before he starts intern type roles...my sister did this as a 17 year old doing filing work at Deloite after school which eventually turned into a part time job and when she finished uni got a position there in a usually very coveted company.

If you are just out to earn short term money, I suggest hitting up the local supermarkets, they employ more over xmas period - even if you just want casual/on call shifts, easy money. You can earn $15 just standing behind a checkout. It ain't pretty but it pays the bills.

If it's cash to pay a few bills, gas the car etc this ^^^ would be the best idea.

The biggest skill that you need to learn is people skills. You can't buy it, learn about it at school or even read about it. It is the skill that will allow you to build a business or even an empire. Knowledge is important but if you want to get have a real business some day, you will need to employ people to work for you and for that reason only, you need to have people skills to teach them and eventually they will respect your position.

Everyone has there own pathway, but at your age I thought I wanted to work in hospital labs (think it was the attraction of nurses at the time lol). Anyway that feel through and saw an advert for being a trainee manager in a supermarket chain. In hindsight, it was the best career move I could have made as I was working for someone else, made lots of mistakes in people skills but learned from them, got sent to different branches to work and made sure I didn't repeat the mistakes and built up a huge understanding about motivating staff and how to set the culture of the workplace.

At your age, you think it is about getting rich as quickly as possible (& I was the same at your age). There is nothing wrong with that. The reality is that you will be a lot richer if you take the long position and focus at this time in your life, to gain people skills. Don't flame me but one company that will take young people and then promote them quickly is McDonalds. Forget about what they make or sell and focus on the skills they will teach you. If you can handle the work and set your goals on being a shift manager, then you will embark on a proven training system designed by corporates. You will quickly learn those 'people skills' and at age 20, have a skill set that will be respected by employers everywhere. On the otherhand, stay with them long enough and you could own your own store and become very rich.

Sorry for the speech but I mentor a lot of people and businesses. Hope this helps :)

Thanks =) The speech was good 9/10 haha

Just submitted a form for maccas!!

But if any one wants me for a day for fee =) Ill be there =D

Edited by Gotheschu

We have some containers starting to come through in the next few weeks, you are welcome to come and help unload. We pay even pay you - haha

I'd say work in a hotel over McD's - become a bellhop/concierge typically better pay than McD's and tips...

Working in a Central City hotel ROCKS when your going out on the town... You know all the out of order rooms and early checkouts so you can go an crash in those rooms when your way to drunk to drive home, or want a quickie with the cutie you just pulled at the bar/club...

We have some containers starting to come through in the next few weeks, you are welcome to come and help unload. We pay even pay you - haha

that'd be mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get to look at the wheels im saving for =)

that'd be mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get to look at the wheels im saving for =)

It really isn't glamourous work and can be physically exhausting, especially when we have a 40FT High Cube of tyres ( almost 1500 tyres). I might have missed it in the original post but when exactly do you finish school? We have a container arriving early next week and always on the look out for extra hands :)

Edited by zenetti

It really isn't glamourous work and can be physically exhausting, especially when we have a 40FT High Cube of tyres ( almost 1500 tyres). I might have missed it in the original post but when exactly do you finish school? We have a container arriving early next week and always on the look out for extra hands :)

Next week I have 2 days of exams week after pretty much all week then week after that im pretty much done...

Couple of red bulls and ill be good =D But next week im busy Tuesday Morning, and all of Friday with exams...

Edited by Gotheschu

Moving tyres is great exercise, we moved warehouses not long ago. The pain goes away after the first 300.

try doing QC on 150 cast iron cylinder head that weighs 48kg... you need to lift each one 6 times...

I worked in a factory stacking / unstacking pallets. We would lift just over 40kg at a time, thats all we did all day every day, as fast as we could. Easy work, but its a sh*t job and sh*t pay.

Guest Ari Gold

Listen to this man. This is KEY advice. You either have it or you don't. This is something a degree will never teach you.

Gotheschu, send me a PM, I may have something for you.

Spending the day working at a car place will make up for the pain. =D

You either have it or you don't.

Well, what's the point in learning if you either have it or you don't?

;)