Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

Lexus IS200

Anyone know much about them? Anything particular I need to look for mechanically? Any pointers appreciated...

Look out for the ones with those awful altezza style lights ;)

Avoid the ex Singapore ones. Go NZ new, get a Lexus pre purchase check done and then get the no worries warranty. If it's under 150kms, everything is covered (suspension, brake pipes, engine etcetc) with no excess. Apart from that, just look for the normal on any car. The IS300 goes a lot better.

Unless you are buying the IS200 from a Lexus dealer with the Lexus warranty. Get a Toyota Altezza.

The only reason you would buy a Lexus variant of a Toyota model is for the service and warranty Lexus supply.

The No Worries warranty is exactly the same for Lexus or Toyota, the only improvement on that is the Lexus 2 yr used warranty and you're very unlikely to find an IS 200 now at Lexus, they're getting too old.

Actually, there are no IS200 or 300s at Lexus dealerships at present.

Edited by Palazzo

So pretty much what I thought then. I haven't heard any major problems with them grenading or things failing more often than expected.

I wouldn't touch an Altezza anyway, and am very particular about NZ new. And yes, I know the IS300 goes much better, but this is a car for my wife to commute in...

So pretty much what I thought then. I haven't heard any major problems with them grenading or things failing more often than expected.

I wouldn't touch an Altezza anyway, and am very particular about NZ new. And yes, I know the IS300 goes much better, but this is a car for my wife to commute in...

We've had our Altezza for almost 7yrs and have hardly touched it.

Other than usual maintenance (oil,filter & air filters) and preventative maintenance (cam belt & water pump) I have only had to replace the front lower ball joints and tyres.

[sarcasm]

With a NZ New Lexus IS200 or 300 being far better, they would probably be paying you to drive it around with their badge on the back.

[/sarcasm]