Sign in to follow this  
mtk540

Best way to get rid of tar spots ?

I need some help to get rid of tar splatter.

Have just spent part of Labour Day morning washing my wifes A4 Avant and found a heap of tar splatters on the bodywork around the rear of wheel arches and on the kick boards of each door.

We've had a fair bit of road works and resealing on the road she uses each day for school run, work and errands etc and is it the downside of having nice new road seal.

My 540 is OK as I use a different route to go to work.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Mike

I need some help to get rid of tar splatter.

Have just spent part of Labour Day morning washing my wifes A4 Avant and found a heap of tar splatters on the bodywork around the rear of wheel arches and on the kick boards of each door.

We've had a fair bit of road works and resealing on the road she uses each day for school run, work and errands etc and is it the downside of having nice new road seal.

My 540 is OK as I use a different route to go to work.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Mike

CRC 556 apparently. Bit on a rag and away you go...

Guest Ari Gold

Publicly available product - de-solve it.

If you can find some, the best product is Pacer's prepare-it surface preparer.

Carby cleaner, crc, kero, prepsol... pretty much anything that smells cool. Just no brake cleaner cause it strips paint.

Carby cleaner, crc, kero, prepsol... pretty much anything that smells cool. Just no brake cleaner cause it strips paint.

Thanks for the quick response guys. My wife said to me "you don't expect your mates to be online now and answer do you?".

Have just shown her the first reply within 8 mins and 4 replies within 30 mins.

@ tastic (Max) - you're not a closet huffer/petro-chemical connoisseur are you ??

I won't lie, I slap a little carby cleaner on my face before I head out on the morning.

I won't lie, I slap a little carby cleaner on my face before I head out on the morning.

I'm sure the ladies dig it.

You can also buy those old school tar and bug remover bottles that work a treat!

Turps - soak a rag - wipe over quickly - leave it for a minute or 2 - rewipe - wash off with soapy water and dry

Turtle Wax Tar and Bug remover. I purchased a bottle 8 years ago and its still going strong. Works a real treat, so so easy. Good investment.

Turps - soak a rag - wipe over quickly - leave it for a minute or 2 - rewipe - wash off with soapy water and dry

This. Nothing fancy required here.

meguiars tar and bug remover ...

best sh*t ever .. I still have mine from 5 year ago and its still going strong.

Clean surface with water and dry, Spray on, gentally wipe with cloth in circular motion .. paying attention to the tar on your paint weather it has small bits of granet in it .. if so pick off with finger nail or tweezers as not to have it contaminat the clth and scratch your paint.

The tar and bug remover gets of even the oldest crustiest tar as and its wont damage paint.