Sign in to follow this  
twisted

Bitten by the Bimmer bug again...

Hi All,

I thought i was done with Bimmers and in particular E34's when i sold my last one, However it seems the bug has bitten again and i'm back.

Picked this up today, some of you may be familiar with it as it was owned by a member a few months ago. Since then its had a new engine and number of other things replaced - though its very tidy, it is still not quite where i want it to be.

First things first, there's some new feet and shoes coming on a truck ;)

post-2922-1288600705.jpg

Will take some proper photos after i've put the new rims on and given it a proper groom.

Edit:

Gave it a bit of a clean this morning and took some snaps on the driveway:

post-2922-1290288901.jpg

post-2922-1290288934.jpg

post-2922-1290288950.jpg

post-2922-1290289006.jpg

Edited by -Alias-

Looks good! Is the E34 offset the same as the E39 offset?

Yeah I think the offset is the same, however the E39 is the oddball of the bunch with a larger hub bore. In short (as far as I am aware) E34/E38 rims will not fit on an E39 due to the smaller hub. With hubcentric rings though E39 rims will fit on E34.

Ahh.. That's right! Thanks. Out of interest what wheels are you sticking on her?

Ahh.. That's right! Thanks. Out of interest what wheels are you sticking on her?

Staggered M-Pars

Will look awesome

Saw a set of M pars on a poo brown VL commonwhore.. Jesus Wept.

Welcome back. Liked your last one, can't wait to see what you do with this one

Yea, I see them more often than RS' :P

540i is nice too Sam, get cleaning and post some good pictures up!

Immediate plans are to fix issues (leaking P/S pump/lines), Steering box needs adjusting/replacing, and headrests need the fix applied.

From there the intention is after much deliberation to update to white indicator lenses and maybe (just maybe mind you) apply a mild tint to the glass.

Long term its going manual, but whether thats 5 or 6 speed is yet to be decided. Also intend to replace the steering wheel with a 3 spoke item (the same as the iS) and go to sports seats when i can find them. Currently have comfort seats without armrests.

long long term i'll be looking into viable m60 rebuild options.

Very nice mate!

I just bought a 3 spoke steering wheel today from an e36 m3 and am about to install now. Not too happy to hear that you are after sports seats too though :)

If you're after a bit of info regarding your manual swap feel free to drop me a PM.

I'll be watching with interest

Very nice mate!

I just bought a 3 spoke steering wheel today from an e36 m3 and am about to install now. Not too happy to hear that you are after sports seats too though :)

If you're after a bit of info regarding your manual swap feel free to drop me a PM.

I'll be watching with interest

Cheers mate! believe me, closer to the time i'll be in touch!

I am looking at my options when it comes to parts for these as they are pretty thin on the ground here! may not yet be competing for the same seats :D

That's a cool forty, I'd 'delete' the spoiler though. How much you reckon for a manual swap?

That's a cool forty, I'd 'delete' the spoiler though. How much you reckon for a manual swap?

check with ian 540i6 he just finished his

The transmission lunched itself today. :(

Will be parking the car up realistically for the next 6 months whilst i try and find a 6 speed in good condition for the right coin.

Can't do anything till after my wedding in march, otherwise i'd be on the blower to the states/uk now lol.

Heh damn, how dramatic was the gearboxes failure?

This was always a worry of mine with my 540i back when I had it in 2009... especially since it was my first BMW then.

But yeah, a good idea to convert it to manual if you are prepared to part with the money.

The transmission lunched itself today. :(

Will be parking the car up realistically for the next 6 months whilst i try and find a 6 speed in good condition for the right coin.

Can't do anything till after my wedding in march, otherwise i'd be on the blower to the states/uk now lol.

thats unfortunate .

but that will be the deaf of many e34 540i e32 740i e38 740i and e39 540i in the future

oh well at least its pretty easy to swap it out for a manual.

very nice with 5 or 6spd .

i have a 4.4L and 5spd in my e34 goes well

Heh damn, how dramatic was the gearboxes failure?

This was always a worry of mine with my 540i back when I had it in 2009... especially since it was my first BMW then.

But yeah, a good idea to convert it to manual if you are prepared to part with the money.

Big loud bearing whine, slippage, and no ability to hold gear until i got the trans program error and it went into limp mode. Once in limp mode it just seemed to hold the same gear. was able to drive it the 52 k's home like that haha!

Was always going to make it manual, this just shifted things forward a bit.

thats unfortunate .

but that will be the deaf of many e34 540i e32 740i e38 740i and e39 540i in the future

oh well at least its pretty easy to swap it out for a manual.

very nice with 5 or 6spd .

i have a 4.4L and 5spd in my e34 goes well

Indeed it will brent.

out of interest, what ratio diff do you have and what kind of revs you pull @ 100 in 5th? Ideally would like a 6 speed, but open to 5.

Edited by -Alias-

Generally, Is the only way to manual one of these M60/62 V8s to import the right gearbox from overseas?

Big loud bearing whine, slippage, and no ability to hold gear until i got the trans program error and it went into limp mode. Once in limp mode it just seemed to hold the same gear. was able to drive it the 52 k's home like that haha!

Was always going to make it manual, this just shifted things forward a bit.

Indeed it will brent.

out of interest, what ratio diff do you have and what kind of revs you pull @ 100 in 5th? Ideally would like a 6 speed, but open to 5.

hi its the original 3.15 diff that the 530i had .

pulls about 2600rpm at 100km/h

but your 540i with its 2.93 would be about 2450rpm

get one of those light weight ali flywheels while your at it from JB racing etc

Reading up on those, they quote 40lb as stock weight and 13lb as their alloy version. Quite a saving if that is the case!

$798 USD though, usual rate for light weight flywheels right?

Generally, Is the only way to manual one of these M60/62 V8s to import the right gearbox from overseas?

Yeah, if you want to keep it bmw. Dont see why you couldnt mate a T5 or whatever with adapter plate/custom bellhousing etc.

But tbh, cost and hassle its probs just as easy to import.

Hmm, thats not too bad, though a 6th cog would be nice for those long trips. Got a couple of months to think about it and research at least.