Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Android phones, Windows 7 phones and frikkin' iphones

Guest Simon*

Too many choices now

What's good and why?

iphone is a known beasty - what are the others like?

It all depends on what youre going to use it for.

I have a Nexus One and love it. Can do everything and more than an iphone right out of the box and if I want to satisfy my developer nature I can do that too.

Its my ipod, satnav, internet and phone all in one.

Guest Simon*

Fair nuff.

I want a phone that does everything too - but hate keyboard style ones, eg Blackberry. Would rather a touch screen. Txts and shortish emails will be the most "typing" I'd do.

Gimme a call if you want to talk about anything. Im no android fan boy but after looking into all the options a few months ago this was by far the best one for me.

Half the price of an iphone with twice the capability. It all works straight out of the box, as does the iphone, but I can do so much more with this. Turn by turn navigation is free too ;)

I found the stock keyboard wasnt as easy as the iphones, but I then installed a keyboard similar to swipeIT and now I can 'slide' across the keyboard instead.

it Depends which android you want. I use iphone 4, but would quite happily use a Samsung Galaxy. the HTC trophy is very quick and cool to use and is a lot more like the iphone and the windows 7 OS is a lot more like the iphone OS (pinch to zoom etc) but battery life is terrible even compared to the iphone.

Too many choices now

Thats exactly why I got iPhone 4 few weeks back. Was looking at Android phones and even thought of waiting for Windows 7 Mobile, but at the end I got iPhone simply because there were too many choices when looking at Android ones. And TBH iPhone 4 is simply awesome - I've never been a big fan of Apple, only had a couple of iPods so far, but this is one great device. Retina Display + 5MP camera + HD video recording = win. Basically means that instead of having 4 separate devices (camera, phone, ipod and gps unit) I now have all in one. Highly recommended.

Android - nuff said.

Each company can customise it to suit their application and each phone but yet still holds the same core so going from one phone to another is easy. Also available on any type of phone you like so that has to be a plus. And if you are into apps, there is goign to be alot more and better apps for Android than iPhone becasue it has more than one companies backing.

Plus Apple = devil

I was in your exact shoes. Thankfully I work with a crap load of tech freaks and we have pretty much every phone under the sun in the office to play with :)

Here is a quick overview of what I think:

iPhone 4:

• Brilliant user experience, nicer and easier to get common tasks done.
  • Huge app market with WELL established developers who churn out awesome applicatoins
  • Seriously constrained when it comes to data i.e. can't transfer movies and music, can't use it as a storage device and just all round gayness when it comes to data flexibility + I HAAAATE III TUNES

Amdroid (GalaxyS)

• Amazing hardware, awesome screen (bigger that the others too).
  • Data freedom! Drag and drop avi's and watch on the phone instantly, essentially plug and play storage device.
  • Swype keyboard is Faaaan-friggen-tastic
  • Large developer community
  • Bad iphone os RIP, something I'd expect to come out of China not Google. First impressions you can barely tell the difference, start to actually use it and you quickly pick up on the flawed usability. Mind you, if you have never had an iphone before this is probably a non issue as to be fair it's not bad... it's just that iphone is on a whole different level.
  • Must have a google account and it locks you in with it (can't use phone properly without it)

Windows Phone 7

• Unique interface that's very nice to use.
  • Same BS lock down as iPhone so you can't use as data storage device, need zune to sync music etc etc.
  • It's early days for this phone, not even out in the states so big ??? looming over how well supported it's going to be from the development community.

In the end I decided to go with the Android for one reason only, data freedom. I love being able to just chuck files on the phone and watch/listen to them instantly or take files back and forth from work without having to carry around a usb stick etc.

I'd have to recommend the android as it just does everything, even has a kick ass GPS app so you can use the phone just like a tom-tom. It's not pretty and it's harder to use but damn it, it's got it all.

Edited by crazyarab

Wait a few more weeks =D Iv just been to all the trainings for all 3 networks something might come up that you like.

Guest Simon*

Thanks Atta (and Martyn et al)

Lots of really good stuff there about the benefits of the Android Handsets. Have learned a lot :)

Each company can customise it to suit their application and each phone but yet still holds the same core so going from one phone to another is easy. Also available on any type of phone you like so that has to be a plus. And if you are into apps, there is goign to be alot more and better apps for Android than iPhone becasue it has more than one companies backing.

Whilst this has is points, its not the whole story.

There are already plenty of 'rumblings' regarding the fragmentation of Android and perhaps Google shouldve been a little more protective to keep the core more stable. Too many players being able to do too many different things means everyone goes running off in their own direction and eventually you wont be able to switch easily from one to another.

You are also at the mercy of some of the service providers who determine which version of Android you can have on which phone. Witness phones in NZ currently on anything between 1.5 and 2.2.

I picked the Nexus on the basis it is Google's development phone and in theory it should get the new versions of Android before anyone else. Whether I get to see Gingerbread when its realised or not is still down to VF though I think.

Ive just bought a Vodafone 845 to have a play with and whilst its way short of the top of the range. $200 with a $200 calling credit for a phone which has wifi, bluetooth, GPS, 3G, radio, a half decent camera and Android 2.1 its cracking value.

Edited by martyyyn

Have had my Nexus One since Feb ish I think? Very very useful phone. At the time the competition was only Maemo/N900 and iPhone 3GS, neither of which did everything I wanted.

I think the Android platform is more value for money, but the bling (stainless CnC case, screen, etc) of the iPhone 4 can't be ignored. But I don't think I could go back to Apple knowing how much my Nexus One is capable of....

I went for the Nexus One as I love updates :D The idea of getting extra functionality every couple of months is awesome.

Turn by turn navigation is free too ;)

.....Whaaaaat? My Google Nav still says "Not available in this region". I had a hacked Nav for a bit when still running Eclair, and that was amazing - the info it manages to provide is very impressive.

Btw, the updates are not dependent of the network - it just gets pushed OTA via any internet connection :)

Having my non-caring look (have a symbian S60 nokia)

I think I'd like the Andriod...

Iphones are just TOO expensive to buy outright.

My company develops software for all of these platforms - I've had iPhone2, 3, 3GS, 4, Nexus Ones, HTC Heros etc etc - you get the picture. I use a Nexus One and iPhone4 daily.

Simple way to choose.

If you are a geek, mingy on money and love to hack your phone and proud when it does stuff others don't. Make calls, email, twitter, web etc.

** Android

If you just want to use your phone, email, twitter, apps, web etc, but not too much geek stuff - just get stuff done.

** iPhone (or Win7, but it is very limited even compared to iPhone.)

If you don't want any friends

** Nokia or Blackberry. (They are so far behind, and nothing coming up. I've seen their previews - no clue.)

:D

Apps a better on iPhone. Android Marketplace is a bit hit and miss, but there are some good ones there. I like both, but when I need to quickly make calls, email etc etc, I naturally go for the iPhone.

My company develops software for all of these platforms - I've had iPhone2, 3, 3GS, 4, Nexus Ones, HTC Heros etc etc - you get the picture. I use a Nexus One and iPhone4 daily.

Simple way to choose.

If you are a geek, mingy on money and love to hack your phone and proud when it does stuff others don't. Make calls, email, twitter, web etc.

** Android

If you just want to use your phone, email, twitter, apps, web etc, but not too much geek stuff - just get stuff done.

** iPhone (or Win7, but it is very limited even compared to iPhone.)

If you don't want any friends

** Nokia or Blackberry. (They are so far behind, and nothing coming up. I've seen their previews - no clue.)

:D

Apps a better on iPhone. Android Marketplace is a bit hit and miss, but there are some good ones there. I like both, but when I need to quickly make calls, email etc etc, I naturally go for the iPhone.

Fairly good summary...Got the HTC Desire...Android...screws Nokia over...used the Nokia N8 for a bit...still no where as nice...

Android is slowly getting there...more than more quality apps but will still be a while before it does catch up to Apple...

.....Whaaaaat? My Google Nav still says "Not available in this region". I had a hacked Nav for a bit when still running Eclair, and that was amazing - the info it manages to provide is very impressive.

Start here and see where you end up. The Amercian voice is not that pleasant but its free and works very well.

Goole maps [brut]

Btw, the updates are not dependent of the network - it just gets pushed OTA via any internet connection :)

What I meant was the updates are not automatic. In each country the service providers decide how soon any updates are done. VF in the UK for example have kept a couple of Android updates to themselves for a while before sending them out.

In the last 3 days my Milestone has crapped itself, keeps turning off randomly and losing all settings, have sent it in for repair. Have an old LG GW620 that I chucked my sim into and now this morning that has turned off and now wont turn on even with full charge, swapped battery and still dead...great.

Start here and see where you end up. The Amercian voice is not that pleasant but its free and works very well.

Goole maps [brut]

What I meant was the updates are not automatic. In each country the service providers decide how soon any updates are done. VF in the UK for example have kept a couple of Android updates to themselves for a while before sending them out.

I've been getting updates as soon as they hit the US? So, I assumed that the updates were universal, guess not..

Running 2.2.1 at the moment, brut maps hasn't really worked properly on my phone since Eclair tbh :(

Thread dig:

Anyone else got nz navigation on their n1? Had a maps update a couple of days ago- now I have full featured navigation!

Very slick and street view integration is so impressive! Voice is a let down though. Will try the traffic avoidance and other features when I have a chance and report back.

It is depends on use and requirement,

But all over I prefer Android phones, because

Great for Screen clarity and hardware

Number of developer company and easy to use

Easy to Data store and input/output and also cheaper then other.

Androids will dominate the world.

The nature of Android (OSS) allows manufactures to compete at every market price point. Microsoft and Apple cannot stop it they can only hope to prize out niche customers. Iphone will always be a strong player at the top end of the market. I cannot see the win7 phone ever being a real contender in the cell market. Only douchebag MS fanboys will even bother imo.

OS4 is a better operating system currently (more responsive, better battery life). Give it to Android 3.0 and there will be virtually no difference.

If I was going to buy an expensive phone i would get a iphone4 currently but since Im a cheap barstard (and spend all my money on cars) Android is the only way to go.

Edited by rds

What are peoples opinion on Nokia N8? I'm tempted by the 12MP camera, but only if I'm not going to get annoyed with the rest of the phone

What are peoples opinion on Nokia N8? I'm tempted by the 12MP camera, but only if I'm not going to get annoyed with the rest of the phone

The N8 is a horrible slow buggy phone, ugly as sin and the UI looks the same as a $200 nokia

12mp camera?If you really want a good camera a high end point and shoot will be much much better and still be pocket sized.12mp isnt gonna overcome the shitty little lens

I just want a querty keyboard and a screen with text big enough so i dont need me specs all the time.even the camera is optional for me