Sign in to follow this  
nordschleife

E39 M5 Nav Retrofit

I have a NZ new E39 M5 with the standard OEM TV but no Nav. I'm off to the UK on Saturday for a very quick trip and thought I'd pick up a MK4 DVD Nav drive over there. I already have the bracket to physically hold the DVD drive (bought this when I retrofitted Bluetooth TCU) and as I have TV I obviously already have the Bordmonitor and Video Module.

What else do I I need to complete the retrofit?

GPS antenna - any particular part number?

Wiring loom from car to Nav drive (looks like there is already a plug for this in the boot behind the passenger's side wheel arch).

Wiring loom from Nav to Video module.

Is there anything else I need? Does anyone have a suitable loom for sale here in NZ?

Any other info or advice appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

I have a NZ new E39 M5 with the standard OEM TV but no Nav. I'm off to the UK on Saturday for a very quick trip and thought I'd pick up a MK4 DVD Nav drive over there. I already have the bracket to physically hold the DVD drive (bought this when I retrofitted Bluetooth TCU) and as I have TV I obviously already have the Bordmonitor and Video Module.

Wiring loom from car to Nav drive (looks like there is already a plug for this in the boot behind the passenger's side wheel arch).

Is there anything else I need? Does anyone have a suitable loom for sale here in NZ?

Cheers

Matt

hotwire or jochen.I think there is an american site with some info and product,bimmernav,or similar

Since you're off tomorrow I'd PM Hotwire or jochen if I were you. They're both very knowledgable in this area and I'm sure they'd be happy to help you.

Cheers

Matt

here's the cable you need:

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.ph...nd-MK4-E39.html

just use a generic magnetic mount gps antenna, on trademe for $45 or so. You need one with an SMB plug

^ Are you also the one bidding on all the MK1 Nav stuff on Trademe? Bugger off!! haha I want that stuff

Crikey, you'd pay money for a Mk1?

Can I sell you my Nintendo 64?

And I have a perfectly good Windows 3.1 PC, would you like that as well?

You should research just what a Mk1 is, and how you have to do calibration turns and lots of work to keep them accurate. They have magnetic compasses and very different setup to the Mk2, Mk3 or Mk4

And they are sooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooowww...

^ Are you also the one bidding on all the MK1 Nav stuff on Trademe? Bugger off!! haha I want that stuff

Hi, not bidding on nav parts just monitor / TV module. Not sure why, I already have a big box of nav / tv parts in the garage which are gathering dust!

Crikey, you'd pay money for a Mk1?

Can I sell you my Nintendo 64?

And I have a perfectly good Windows 3.1 PC, would you like that as well?

You should research just what a Mk1 is, and how you have to do calibration turns and lots of work to keep them accurate. They have magnetic compasses and very different setup to the Mk2, Mk3 or Mk4

And they are sooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooowww...

Shocking I know... I thought I'd just get it and give it a whirl and from what I have read its upgradable by using a Mk2 ,3 or 4 module if I still like it otherwise I will go down the Dynavin route since it seems to do quite a lot for around the same price it would cost to convert to a Mk4... hmmm

Hi, not bidding on nav parts just monitor / TV module. Not sure why, I already have a big box of nav / tv parts in the garage which are gathering dust!

Well if they are just gathering dust and you hoard the stuff, Im sure we can work out a deal then :lol:

After a shipping debacle my Nav drive finally arrived last week.

After a couple of issues and a lot of help from Dean aka Dogballs it is was up and running pretty quickly. I've also managed to get a 2010 map DVD which is great.

A great toy to have in the car!! So much better than other Nav systems out there. Its visually much better than the E60 / E65 nav I've used - 3D view, etc.

So far I've retrofitted:

Bluetooth - initially TCU then ULF

BM24 Radio Module (RDS, TMC, etc)

16:9 Monitor and Video Module

MK4 Nav

Not sure if there is much else left to do now!

Cheers

where did you get the 2010 map?

I think they give them away on the internet..... Its an Aussie & NZ one combined.

Cheers

See if you can grab a intravee II and KCA-420i for proper ipod integration. Youll love it.

After a couple of issues and a lot of help from Dean aka Dogballs it is was up and running pretty quickly. I've also managed to get a 2010 map DVD which is great.

A great toy to have in the car!! So much better than other Nav systems out there. Its visually much better than the E60 / E65 nav I've used - 3D view, etc.

So far I've retrofitted:

MK4 Nav

Cheers

I retrofitted nav to my E38 using a MK3 mav unit and it's very basic nav compared to my Garmin - and cost a lot more. Other than the fun of doing it there wasn't a lot of point. Maybe a 16:9 monotor would make it better. I did upgrade the video module so can run the widescreen of i can source one. Hotwire helped me.

So far I've retrofitted:

MK4 Nav

Cheers

I too have done the MKIV and my next job is to fit ULF based handsfree, do you find it works well ?

What phone (s ) do you pair it with ? I want to be able to use it with iPhone 4

Does the speech recogition work ? ( the speech reg on the iphone is poor )

I assume your car is ex Jap ? Any major issues retrofitting the ULF etc ?

Thanks

I retrofitted nav to my E38 using a MK3 mav unit and it's very basic nav compared to my Garmin - and cost a lot more. Other than the fun of doing it there wasn't a lot of point. Maybe a 16:9 monotor would make it better. I did upgrade the video module so can run the widescreen of i can source one. Hotwire helped me.

16:9 makes it worthwhile. I haven't used a MK3 but the MK4 is really good. I also haven't used Garmin but have used several from the Navman family and its in a different league. So much better than any windscreen mount unit I've come accross.

I too have done the MKIV and my next job is to fit ULF based handsfree, do you find it works well ?

What phone (s ) do you pair it with ? I want to be able to use it with iPhone 4

Does the speech recogition work ? ( the speech reg on the iphone is poor )

I assume your car is ex Jap ? Any major issues retrofitting the ULF etc ?

Thanks

Nope, car is NZ new. It came new with a GSM phone in the armrest so all the wiring was there. I bought the TCU from eBay.de and the ulf from eBay.co.uk. The eject box, wiring adapter and BT antenna came from Bimmernav. TCU was faster to scroll through the address book but stopped working when I upgraded the firmware / software on my old Blackberry, hence buying the ULF. The steering wheel buttons work in the opposite way when scrolling through the address book between TCU (which I'd call the correct way) and ULF. TCU also showed signal strength in the TV although this could be down to the phone.

My TCU didn't have Voice Recognition but the ULF does. I've got the Gen 1 ULF and enabled VR with Navcoder. It takes a while to set it up as you have to record each name first but once set up and you have worked the commands out it works well.

Gen 1 ULF works well with my iPhone 4 and every other phone I've tried with it. The address book transfers, etc. Caller ID with iPhone doesn't work though but it does work for other phones I have tried.

Jim, as I originally said at the time - a Mk4 is streets ahead of the Mk3. So is 16:9 too. Both plug play - just need $$$$ :ph34r: