Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Miners

If you're totally out of the loop it unfortunately looks as if it will be a recovery not a rescue. As soon as I seen the footage of the portal yesterday I knew in my mind that it wasn't favourable.

If they are still alive then awesome.

If you're totally out of the loop it unfortunately looks as if it will be a recovery not a rescue. As soon as I seen the footage of the portal yesterday I knew in my mind that it wasn't favourable.

If they are still alive then awesome.

guy in my church was down there.

A SA guy who always used to come into my work on a weekly basis is down there too.

I reckon if the gas was as bad as they say, they would've been all dead before the explosion, however dying of monoxide poisoning is probably a lot less painful than being blown to peices.

Still, you never know what's actually going on down there until they get in there.

Poor bastards... :(

Edited by antil33t

I reckon if the gas was as bad as they say, they would've been all dead before the explosion, however dying of monoxide poisoning is probably a lot less painful than being blown to peices.

Still, you never know what's actually going on down there until they get in there.

Poor bastards... :(

exactly i just recon its sad how the called of the rescue. and just called it and said they are dead well just chek it out tomorow. wtf..

Absolutely gutting news.

Obviously no hope of any being alive now. If they did survive the first explosion (looking more unlikely from what Ive seen) then the second that was supposidly bigger would have put paid to any surviving.

I am also pissed with some of the media for the constant harrassing & stupid questions being aimed at those in charge of things. Pull their bloody heads in - this aint pleasant for anyone & they were doing everything possible aimed at a successfull rescue.

this aint pleasant for anyone & they were doing everything possible aimed at a successfull rescue.

Yes it seems as if they were right in not going in there, it must have been such a coctail, I will have a bit of a cry to myself this is just such a sad moment to NZ and the world at this time.

I am also pissed with some of the media for the constant harrassing & stupid questions being aimed at those in charge of things. Pull their bloody heads in - this aint pleasant for anyone & they were doing everything possible aimed at a successfull rescue.

Exactly, the NZ Media are pack of ignorant idiots asking retarded questions and harassing people who dont need to be harassed.

The CEO of Pike needs a medal, that dude must be going through hell, I wouldve told all the media to go f themselves long ago.

Hopefully they can work out what went wrong and fix it, and then go and buy a half decent bloody robot, and not an ebay one :huh:

RIP

A sad moment indeed.

Being a coal miner myself and knowing how many safety systems are in place I never thought New Zealand could ever have another explosion. The cause of all of this had to have been complacency on someones part, as it has been in the past. Pike River was not a big place in mining terms and I can't see how they could have missed something like a heating. Bearing in mind that they can be incubating for a few days to a few weeks before combustion can occur and if the various gas monitors throughout a mine don't detect it, then someone walking near or past it will because of the smell.

I had to work underground on Tuesday night. Imagine how uncomfortable we felt when we heard dayshift had been evacuated from the mine because a heating had been discovered underground in an old working :S

Do they carry sniffers with them in the mine? I was wondering the other day.

At work, whenever we enter a fuel tank we have a little yellow box on us that measures O2 content, and gas volatility, got an alarm etc on it. Id imagine they would have something similar?

Do they carry sniffers with them in the mine? I was wondering the other day.

At work, whenever we enter a fuel tank we have a little yellow box on us that measures O2 content, and gas volatility, got an alarm etc on it. Id imagine they would have something similar?

Yes we have hand held gas detectors that monitor O2, CO and CH4 and they have alarms etc. Pretty much all of our machines have them too and will shut down if in an area of >1.25% GBA of methane. No Canaries, sorry :P

Certainly is a sad time for NZ but i guess that's the risk they take! I have quite a few relatives who live up the coast and many know those guys...prayers and thoughts are with the miners family and friends.

I have a theory that this can all be put down to the recent Canterbury earthquakes. Perhaps these quakes could have opened a fissure somewhere in the mine that had opened a pathway to a large gas reserve which has caused this gas leak.

Just my 2c worth.

I have a theory that this can all be put down to the recent Canterbury earthquakes. Perhaps these quakes could have opened a fissure somewhere in the mine that had opened a pathway to a large gas reserve which has caused this gas leak.

Just my 2c worth.

I wondered the same thing.

Please text 306 and donate $3 for our freinds down at Greymouth

Edited by *Glenn*

TBH, the reporting on it by TV1 and TV3 was shocking. At least there was a decent one done by the BBC, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11833033

Totally agree, haven't yet seen the BBC version but from previous experience with their news - it is far more proffesional

This is typical of NZ TV news - dumbing down, almost patronising the public.

The only news I was interested in with this sad case was FACT of the situation - not every hanger on's view.

With all the crap questions that were fired by journalist vultures - those in charge at the press releases should have simply revealed the facts to date & left.

I too reacon the Pike River CEO deserves a medal. It must be shear hell for him & he has presented himself totally proffesionally with matter of fact information in what have been hell circumstances for him.