Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Bravo's latest mod

A really easy one this time. I only decided to do it and hour and 15mins ago, and its already done.

Some of you may remember me talking about painting my needles red a while back, well I got home from work today and I had to kill some time before some mtes turned up, and so I pulled out the humbrol and got to work.

Took an hour to get all of the gear together, clean up my workbench, remove the instrument cluster and paint the needles.

It is drying right now, so I only have a photo of it outside of the car, but here it is anyway.

P.S. just realised I forgot the economy meter needle, oh well, I'll do that on Sunday avo and post in-car pics then.

post-8-1112942075.jpg

ive always liked that...

got the paint from ollie and it spilt so never got round to doing it

good job :thumb:

Haha G's at it again . Well done, most Ingunetic one on here, i reckon. First the bottle caps, now this.

Great job.

How did u get the cluster out BTW?

How did u get the cluster out BTW?

big hammer, pipe wrench and a bike seat post

butane torch optional

Just having a think before, dunno if it will effect it but, I figured you may have a bit of trouble when you turn the lights on ya dash. Needle wont b lit up?

Looks mint dude .. would this affect the speedo working in anyway ? as in added weight ? .. just curious ..

and you just need screw drivers and brains basically to take the dash out .. it's real easy !

Just having a think before, dunno if it will effect it but, I figured you may have a bit of trouble when you turn the lights on ya dash. Needle wont b lit up?

heard of transparent paint?

i had a pot of red transparent paint once DAVE, i wonder where it is now? turns our i need it, making a ferrari f50 barchetta 1/24 scale.

and yes i must re paint my rear indicators red they've faded back to orange

Edited by OLLIE

Em - easy - two thumbscrews behind dash to remaove a small cover below cluster, then four scres removs next bit of plastic, and releases bottom of cluster, then two more screws to release top of cluster, then unplug two plugs and you're free. Undo about eight morescrews and you can access the needles.

Andy/stz - e30 needles reflect the dash lights, and are not transparent, so they will just look red at night instead of orange.

ali - I'll let you know. This is my only concern as the paint is sorta thickish (two coats), and I had to play with the needles abit when painting as I cut-in around the central bit where they attach instead of masking. I was really careful though, so I don't see much problem. I really don't think the weight will matter at all though - anyone care to comment?

Tim/bmpstp - that's the next step (white dials), but I haven't got round to it yet as I want to see them in the flesh before I front up with the cash.

P.S. A n d r e w - f**k off with the auto-correct, you're not the only a ndrew on here, and they are not all god's like you. :finger:

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Guest Andrew

P.S. A n d r e w - f**k off with the auto-correct, you're not the only a ndrew on here, and they are not all god's like you. :finger:

hah more of the amusing damien filters - in reality damien has the full mod powers now as he will be taking over the site.

God help us mehehehehehee!

Well needles work, and so do the dash lights, and although I haven't done it when I took this pic, the economy needle is painted too.

The finish is slightly less than perfect, but pretty even on the bits you can see, and a very, very hi-gloss. Can only pick the blemishes under my 500W halogen spotlights when shone directly on them, so will be impossible to detect in the car.

I think it looks tits, and am very pleased with the result. Thanks for the comments above, as always positive comments are good to hear.

post-8-1113126582.jpg

that looks good.

hey how did u get the plasitc strip abouve the steering colum off?

i was having a fiddle with it in the car today and cant get the plastic thing off

and not relly too keen on breaking even more things on the car :lol:

audi lights own

they look so good wasted

Guest Andrew

that looks good.

hey how did u get the plasitc strip abouve the steering colum off?

i was having a fiddle with it in the car today and cant get the plastic thing off

and not relly too keen on breaking even more things on the car :lol:

take off the panel above the pedals - feel under and there are two nuts. Undo them

Correct except I would describe them as thumb screws, not nuts as you undow them by hand although technically they are not screws.

They are quite big and easy to undo - one on either side of the steering column. One just to the left of the light switches and one just to the right of the centre console.