Sign in to follow this  
skidz

Today's Quiz - why does my speedo not go

So, have reassembled my E30 Baur, 325 etc and the speedo has stopped working. have tried different clusters, fuse, checked the plug at the diff. Any ideas?

Is it the speed reading that has stopped working (the needle), or the mileage (odometer)?

Is it the speed reading that has stopped working (the needle), or the mileage (odometer)?

Both have stopped, but the other guages work (fuel, temp, lights etc)

Guest Si Vis Pacem

Both have stopped, but the other guages work (fuel, temp, lights etc)

Check the little drive cog inside the speedo mechanism. It's about 4mm in diameter and made out of a rubbery-plastic that gets very brittle with age; I've seen many that have crumbled away in varying degrees. You can carefully prise them off and replace with a good one if need be.

Cheers

Ken.

"have tried different clusters" I missed this, ignore me! :wacko:

Edited by Si Vis Pacem

Check the little drive cog inside the speedo mechanism. It's about 4mm in diameter and made out of a rubbery-plastic that gets very brittle with age; I've seen many that have crumbled away in varying degrees. You can carefully prise them off and replace with a good one if need be.

Cheers

Ken.

"have tried different clusters" I missed this, ignore me! :wacko:

All seems a bit weird, I am wondering if there is an earth wire from the loom to the body I think it attaches near the ecu - I will check tonight

Guest Si Vis Pacem

All seems a bit weird, I am wondering if there is an earth wire from the loom to the body I think it attaches near the ecu - I will check tonight

Progress? Did Price pull finger and offer to help? :lol:

Progress? Did Price pull finger and offer to help? :lol:

No progress, car is off having new exhaust made (last job before warrant check) Mr P may well have offered, even if he doesn't know it yet. Can only be the sender unit at the diff (I have a spare to try) or a broken wire - tried everything else!