Sign in to follow this  
bestexhaust

E46 M3 first impressions

Hi, I've been looking at buying a 2nd hand E46 M3, as I currently drive a heavily modified but highly reliable daily driver Nissan 200SX (Silvia) S15 Turbo.

I test drove an E46 M3 SMG the other day, and I did like the car, but the SMG system seems totally alien to me. I guess its something you get used to...

I was concerned that these cars are getting old, so unless they're owned by enthusiasts, then the overall condition will be potluck...

I'd be interested from hearing from E46 M3 owners, preferably owners who drive their cars to their full potential and who have mechanical knowledge of their cars (ie. knows what an engine is, and what a gearbox is.)

The chassis of the E46 M3 seems to be great and the grip formidable, but I was a bit worried from the burning smell coming from the factory standard car after a somewhat sedate test drive. The car had only done about 65,000km.

My 200SX, by comparison, has done 175,000km, and I have no problem doing hill climb events, or motorkhanas, and revving its tits off any every opportunity. I've owned the 200SX since it was 1 year old in 2003.

I look forward to hearing from you.

MikeG

www.bestexhaust.co.nz

Edited by bestexhaust

burning smell is probably a good thing... It is most likely to come up when the car havent been driven "up to its potential" for a while... So it must be in a reasonable condition and owned by the older person(or a person like me). My e36 m3 smells the same when i give it a proper run. My car is driven every day so i try to drive it nice and smooth but i think m3 needs a different life style lol... Track or some good highway runs on weekends :)

Edited by swordfish

better to get a std 6spd manual . my 2 cents

Yea, don't worry about the smell. Some of these things become weekend cars and are never given to full beans.

How hard did you drive the SMG box? I loved it, yea its quite jerky on the down shifts but if your in a city or busy area its great because when your in traffic you can just go into auto. But then if you want to have some proper fun you put it in SMG and you have the paddles which makes you feel like your in a race car and that your michael schumacher. And all is well again.

I think im the only one who may prefer the SMG over the manual but I haven't driven the manual one.... I just love the SMG Box, it makes the car easy to live with in traffic but insane to drive on a track.

Get a Milltek catback system for it which shouldn't be hard for you, gets rid of that raspy exhuast note.

=)

I think im the only one who may prefer the SMG over the manual but I haven't driven the manual one.... I just love the SMG Box, it makes the car easy to live with in traffic but insane to drive on a track.

Whaaattt? Drive the manual before you say that haha

We have an E46 M3 racing in the series at the moment. He has the smg in and has done the first 2 events, that's 8 races with qually, and has had no issues at all, says it runs and performs well.

Send M3power a PM with your questions. He knows the E46 M3 inside and out and owns one of the rare M3CSL's of which sees the track on a regular basis. All the CSL's are SMG.

Oh and Greg's car even ran in a solid 1 hour miny endurance race not long ago.