Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

Strange noise like steam train

as topic, those steeam train noise goes faster as the car goes faster

it happens on straight, and it gets worse on right sweeper turns (it also send slight vibration through the seats as well!)

But it gets better on left sweepers turns (almost gone completly silent)

What could that be? I had 4 new tyres already.

I heard from overseas forums that it could be wheel bearings, if that's the case, how hard/much is it to replace it?

I am not good at DIYing this, can anyone recomend a place that would do a good job that I don't need to rob a bank to pay for it??

And it'll be the rear wheels, not the front.

And it'll be the rear wheels, not the front.

Huh? Rear wheel bearings??? :blink:

holla,

they're prolly a press in jobbie

does it go chchchchchchchchc woowoo!!!!! or jst the growly wheel bearing noise??? :lol:

i had a similar problem, where the inside of my mag had been pushed out causing it to rub on the steering rack/shocks so every time i turned right it sounded like a steam train, seeing it was the right wheel. But yer, $140 later problem solved D: recondition the chrome.

I had to do my rear wheel bearings when I got my E36. Bastard sold me the car making that noise and said all it needed was new tyres and a wheel alignment...

It's well worth it, driving in comparitive silence is great :D

Because you'd feel the front ones through the steering and more through the brake pedal than the rears which you feel through your seat.

I had to do my rear wheel bearings when I got my E36.  Bastard sold me the car making that noise and said all it needed was new tyres and a wheel alignment...

It's well worth it, driving in comparitive silence is great  :D

That's what I thought when I bought the car. I change the tyres and the noise quiet down a little bit. The rest of the noise must be the bearing then.....

those steam train noise is driving me nuts I started to dislike my car... :(

I thought those bearing are quite sturdy ain't they? How can we tell if it's the front one or the back one? I saw the WOF guys shack the wheels when they check my car, is that what they are trying to find out?

Edited by my_e36

bearings wear out......

jack it up, makeing sure trans is in neutral

spin the wheels fast as possible forwards, whilst listening for any bearing noise (as there is no load on them it can be quite quiet....)

also holding the wheel at top and bottom and wobbling it will show if they have play in them, you'll be able to feel it

in saying that, you dont have to have any play in a bearing for it to be rumbly

i had a similar problem, where the inside of my mag had been pushed out causing it to rub on the steering rack/shocks so every time i turned right it sounded like a steam train, seeing it was the right wheel. But yer, $140 later problem solved D: recondition the chrome.

Pushed out? how can a wheel be pushed out? It they are pushed out, they are bent and can't be used again isn't it?

Anyway, my rims are pretty straight when the tyre guys doing wheel balance on it. Hopefully it won't be that for me....

I had to do my rear wheel bearings when I got my E36. Bastard sold me the car making that noise and said all it needed was new tyres and a wheel alignment...

It's well worth it, driving in comparitive silence is great :D

Where did you have yours done? How much? How long does it take to finish?

Do it youself, takes bout 3hrs for an amature and stopping for lunch. I posted a thresd on how to bout 3weeks ago B) is soooooo much cheaper.

um like my mag got kerbed on the inside, which the sliding motion created an outdent instead of an indent, kinda hard to explain by text.