Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

E30 not starting

First off, take the plate off behind the driver's seat and listen to hear if the fuel pump goes when you turn the key, if not, take the plug off at the tank and check if you are getting 12 volts across the 2 wires when you turn the key. If you have 12 volts and the pump's not working then the pump's stuffed.

Next, if you don't have 12 volts at the pump the problem lies between the key and the pump, so, either the power's not getting to the relay, or it's not going thru the relay. Then, check you have power at the fuel relay, pin 30 and ground should be 12 volts, if not, you have a problem between the battery and the relay. Then check pins 85 - and 86 +, when you turn the key should give you 12 volts, if not, you have a problem between the key and the relay. If both these are working, use a short piece of wire and jump pins 30 and 87, this should turn the fuel pump on, if it doesn't, check for voltage at the pump again, you may have a break in the wires going back to the pump, although this is unlikely.

Hope this helps.

This WILL solve your problems. Go to DSE and get a 12 dollar multimeter and do it. I have a spare in tank pump if it is that, you can have it for free.

And if you need to take the fuelpump out of the tank , take the hoses off and turn the whole unit anticlock wise 1/4 turn to get it out .

I had fuel starvation and replaced the pump . all go now

Yea just bought a multi meter from REPCO. Checked the voltage, ( hope im using right ) got it on DCV 20.

But turned the key and checked the voltage going to the pump and its like 12.61 etc changes heaps but always has 12 volts. If I did this right THANKKK YOUUUUU DAVIDDDDDD ( SILVER FOX )

So the pump is stuffed?

Anyone who has one i could buy or at least test so i know its the pump round Bucklands Beach Auckland?

=))

Edited by Gotheschu

Is it the low pressure pump?

get a spare peice of hose and put it into a bottle and then turn the key and see if fuel comes out?

That's fully what I'd do as long as it's not high pressure.

Ok. Im a total idiot. I checked the voltage at the fuel level sensor not the pump which is not under the rear seats but in front of the passenger rear wheel. So got a replacement pump of Ray which really I didn't need because we found out we weren't getting any power to that pump which we ( Matt45 and I ) connected directly to the battery to find that the original pump was fine.

So f**k. it wasn't the pump, and im a clot.

Got the multimeter and there is 12 volts between pin 30 and ground. But on the relay there is only 87 and 87 b but there is no voltage there. so I think i need help =(

Learnt heaps today with matt pulling out the fuel pump and how that works. and what a few fuses do but its hard to understand over the phone. Few beers and Ill come get ya and drop off if someone wants to give a hand =)

THANK YOUUUU

Edited by Gotheschu

Ok. Im a total idiot. I checked the voltage at the fuel level sensor not the pump which is not under the rear seats but in front of the passenger rear wheel. So got a replacement pump of Ray which really I didn't need because we found out we weren't getting any power to that pump which we ( Matt45 and I ) connected directly to the battery to find that the original pump was fine.

So f**k. it wasn't the pump, and im a clot.

Got the multimeter and there is 12 volts between pin 30 and ground. But on the relay there is only 87 and 87 b but there is no voltage there. so I think i need help =(

Learnt heaps today with matt pulling out the fuel pump and how that works. and what a few fuses do but its hard to understand over the phone. Few beers and Ill come get ya and drop off if someone wants to give a hand =)

THANK YOUUUU

Dare I say it Jack, but you are still going around in circles. I would have said (although possible) it would have been very unlikely to have been a faulty pump - from your description of the lead up to no start of the car.

Also, as I said to you in PM - the pump in your car is not in the tank, but outside in front of the rear wheel. Your car does not have an intank pump, either low or high pressure.

I am sure I can help you over the phone - as I said - phone me!

Tis way easier than writing out a blurb to cover all bases for possibilities

Dare I say it Jack, but you are still going around in circles. I would have said (although possible) it would have been very unlikely to have been a faulty pump - from your description of the lead up to no start of the car.

Also, as I said to you in PM - the pump in your car is not in the tank, but outside in front of the rear wheel. Your car does not have an intank pump, either low or high pressure.

I am sure I can help you over the phone - as I said - phone me!

Tis way easier than writing out a blurb to cover all bases for possibilities

Yea thought I had it sorted today. Ill ring tomorrow morning if I wake up =) Thanks a =) Edited by Gotheschu

Un done all the tape anonymous put on the wires and still no start =( not sure what im looking for though.

Un done all the tape anonymous put on the wires and still no start =( not sure what im looking for though.

I really wish i was in Auckland and could help you out mate, but unless you can get it down here I cant do jack sh*t :P

Hopefully someone nearby who knows what they are doing can roll up sometime soon and get ya sorted :)

Hope you make your track debut, we put a whole new engine in mine 2 weeks before my last clubsport meet haha.

SORTED =D

Mr anonymous left a 3 pin plug out of the ecu.... I won't let you forget this anonymous!!

THANK YOU DAVID AND GRANT =)

Edited by Gotheschu

Good ol C104

Nup, not C104. - Ign supply to ECU/fuel pump relay

Sooo Jack - Mr anonymous remains anonymous huh? ;)

Thanks Grant, really appreciate your help again. -_-

yea thanks again grant.

haha. Ill be giving him lots of sh*t for this for a very long time at all the meetings so won't stay annoymous for much longer =D

That wouldn't be ANDYnonymous would it Jack??

haha. what would make you think that? =P

To be fair Jack, I cant take all the credit.. it was a team effort..

Edited by bmw3

To be fair Jack, I cant take all the credit.. it was a team effort..

whata team.