Sign in to follow this  
Busted

LSD

i went to that meet on the weekend to meet some of you guys (i was in the silver e30) and was asked if it has an LSD the answer is yes.

Thats all

Yeah i didnt know for sure and i didnt want to talk sh*t so i checked.

Heres a question though do the m325s have a different gear ratio opposed to a standard 325?? i have been told they do what do you guys think???

Im just interested.................

Well i assume that its so you can light up two wheels doing a burn out

or the old my dicks bigger than yours story

Oh i see, i thought that the first half of that was right, but yeah the second part is probably just as equally right

How differentials work

LSD's limit the amount the wheels on each side of the car can turn respective of the other wheel under load. This means you are less likely to get just one wheel spinning which means you won't get stuck on slippery surfaces as much as both wheels will turn even if only one has traction (usually the one WITHOUT traction will turn only on a normal diff so you go nowhere) and it also means you can control tail slides etc better as the car does not become unbalanced when one wheel suddenly loses Edit: (or gains) traction and starts to spin/grip. It also means they break traction less.

The extreme version of this is a diff lock as used in 4x4ing and farm machinery to aid in traction, but you cannot turn corners with a locked diff as the outside wheel needs to turn more than the inside one.

(the car will turn, but you will kill your diff.)

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Cheers it all becomes clear now cool.

And the Ratio Thing???

There's 10 or more differential ratios that fit E30's

The ratio you get aas stock depends on where the car comes from and what gearbox it has I imagine. The Japs use short ratio diffs from what i've seen so far.

Couldn't tell you what yours is supposed to be but the NZ 320i manual is supposed to have a 3.45 ratio so I would assume the 325i would aswell. A motorsport E30 doesn't have a different drive train to a standard from what I know so the gearbox and diff should have the same ratios.

Guest Andrew

Standard diff ratio is 3.64S for M325i

3.64 open for 325 is normal also (manual)

then again they came with heaps of ratios.

yeah my motorsport has same ratio (3.64) as my old car did...just slipping

the main benefit of the LSD is increased traction coming out of corners, and the predictibility (instead of one wheel lighting up on a corner, you know both will grip...or slip)

and its fun

Even my little 318 will spin up so I'm assuming it must be pretty bad for guys in 325's

Yeah, on some corners where I got the 318 spinning, I can't with the 525. Unless its wet :rolleyes: Would hate to think about the normal 325is.

But in the 525, the M20 doesn't have enough balls to spin both the back wheels, in the dry.

The LSD has more use to me getting out of mud etc. :mosh:

Saved my arse a coupla times from getting bogged.

I would never buy any 2 wheel drive car, (front of rear) without an LSD now. Open Diffs are lies.

yeah, will agree with that

LSD do have disadvantages too,in that with limited traction all round they can make the car understeer because BOTH back wheel are pushing,kinda like a locked diff.The v8 supercars have locked diffs so making pretty ugly to drive at low speeds'

The fact that it is hard to spin up one whhel tho gives awesome grip.Even with quite hard take offs with the 235,s its hard to break the back loose even in the wet...it can be done of course..... ;)

Edited by kiwi535

.The v8 supercars have locked diffs so making pretty ugly to drive at low speeds'

uh you sure bout that........pretty sure the v8's wouldnt be so rangi as to lock their diffs

not 100 per cent sure Gus but its what i have been told,(aussie supercars eh)

Not sure that Locked diff is actually correct,perhaps no diff at all?????

Guest Andrew

perhaps no diff at all?????

uhhh

I'd say they'd run a high lockup diff - or a torson diff.

More diff lock doesn't always equal understeer.

then how do they go round corners?

and why not just run an LSD?

and why not just run an LSD?

Cost and simplicity. The diffs are a control component supplied by the racing organisation. The organisers want to keep the racing close, so they give everyone the same non adjustable locked diff. One less thing to effect setup. The same applies to a raft of the components they use. Spoiler kit, gearbox, wheels, rev limiter.......