Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Exhaust wrap

Didnt get the time to get my headers HPC coated during the swap, and after doing up all the exhaust nuts, removing them is not something I want to get into, getting them past the steering was higher priority than ease of install :rolleyes:

Ive never actually played with exhaust wrap, have heard iffy stories about corrosion though?!

Anyone have any experience with it, I figure I could probably do it with the manifold on which would be a much easier way to keep the engine bay heat down...

Specifically looking at this stuff http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry391503

Pretty difficult to do it with the manifold on. You need to wrap it pretty damn tight.

Make sure you do it wet, and wear gloves.

What are the advantages of exhaust wrapping except keeping heat to a minimum?

Factory headers don't come with heat wrap so must have a different point?

Edited by Greg.

Didnt get the time to get my headers HPC coated during the swap, and after doing up all the exhaust nuts, removing them is not something I want to get into, getting them past the steering was higher priority than ease of install :rolleyes:

Ive never actually played with exhaust wrap, have heard iffy stories about corrosion though?!

Anyone have any experience with it, I figure I could probably do it with the manifold on which would be a much easier way to keep the engine bay heat down...

Specifically looking at this stuff http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry391503

Just a though,t I was told by a guy that its best to always wrap an exhaust as it takes the heat away from motor, yes I tried it and my exhaust basicly corroded withen the year, rather sad indeedy

Why wet Ashkan?

When it's wet it allows you to get a tighter fit, it may even shrink slightly when it drys out. It doesn't need to be soaking just damp.

Also if it's wet it probably cuts down the amount of glass fibers in the air.

Missed this, Yeah pretty much what he said. I mainly did it to stop the glassy asbestos sh*t getting everywhere, but definitly made it easier to wrap. I did 2 pipes dry and it didn't really cling on to the header that well vs wet.

also make sure you paint the exhaust with heat proof paint before you wrap it, it helps stop it rusting. and i guess it wouldnt hurt to paint after wrapped too...