Sign in to follow this  
charvezding

My car wobbles at 100km

Hi Guys

Have been having a bit of trouble trying to figure out why my e28 525e starts to wobble between 90km-100km.

I have had the wheels aligned and balanced and had all the bushing and control arms checked at the front and everything seems to be perfect

when I get the car just above 90km it starts to shake quite badly, then it will go away and then comes back again intermittently.

I'm starting to think either drive shaft bearing, wheel bearing or warped rotors, or even the drive train out of alignment.

Any help would be great!! :D

Cheers

Hi Guys

Have been having a bit of trouble trying to figure out why my e28 525e starts to wobble between 90km-100km.

I have had the wheels aligned and balanced and had all the bushing and control arms checked at the front and everything seems to be perfect

when I get the car just above 90km it starts to shake quite badly, then it will go away and then comes back again intermittently.

I'm starting to think either drive shaft bearing, wheel bearing or warped rotors, or even the drive train out of alignment.

Any help would be great!! :D

Cheers

Are the wheels hubcentric?

yes double check your wheels , what type are they??

but normally its the thrust arm (brake arm) bushes or ball joints that fail and cause that problem.

and sometimes the brake discs are warpped etc

did this just start?Have you got new tyres,new wheels or have some sort of wheel/kerb incident?

Maybe only drive 95km, turn the car off. Reset the trip computer and keep driving ^_^

I've only had the car for about 3 weeks, just got the wheels balanced and aligned yesterday

It's got a set of 225/55 r16 which look like they're off an e39

I had a chat to the mag and turbo guy in New Lynn and he said they could put some spacers in which might help it.

and I mean 90-100km/h!

I've only had the car for about 3 weeks, just got the wheels balanced and aligned yesterday

It's got a set of 225/55 r16 which look like they're off an e39

I had a chat to the mag and turbo guy in New Lynn and he said they could put some spacers in which might help it.

and I mean 90-100km/h!

e39 wheels have a different hub bore size (bigger) so will need hubcentric rings .

do you have a pic or model number of the wheels you have

Style 33

Posted Image

e39 wheels have a different hub bore size (bigger) so will need hubcentric rings .

do you have a pic or model number of the wheels you have

As others have said, looks like you have e39 74mm hub centric bore wheels instead of 72.5mm bore. The wheels are only using the lugs as centering which is fine for lower speeds however has the speed gets up the wheels start to vibrate. BMW use a hub centric bore that the wheel sits on to center itself properly. Mechanically is a far better system than wheel studs but it needs to be right.

You can either get new wheels with the correct bore or ideally have someone like arrow wheels or brugar engineering press 74 to 72.5 ring sleeves in, or get hold of some rings from jono @ Mag & Tire Direct (forum sponsor).

If you got the car from a dealer, you might want to try going back to them stateing the car shouldnt have been sold with those wheels on it as its actually causing problems with the vehicle and get them to pay to have it recetified.

As others have said, looks like you have e39 74mm hub centric bore wheels instead of 72.5mm bore. The wheels are only using the lugs as centering which is fine for lower speeds however has the speed gets up the wheels start to vibrate. BMW use a hub centric bore that the wheel sits on to center itself properly. Mechanically is a far better system than wheel studs but it needs to be right.

You can either get new wheels with the correct bore or ideally have someone like arrow wheels or brugar engineering press 74 to 72.5 ring sleeves in, or get hold of some rings from jono @ Mag & Tire Direct (forum sponsor).

If you got the car from a dealer, you might want to try going back to them stateing the car shouldnt have been sold with those wheels on it as its actually causing problems with the vehicle and get them to pay to have it recetified.

Fantastic! I've been trying to figure out what it was, it makes a lot of sense!

Cheers man!

What are the rings worth?

Fantastic! I've been trying to figure out what it was, it makes a lot of sense!

Cheers man!

What are the rings worth?

Hub centric rings will solve all your issues. I have replied to your Pm

cheers

Hub centric rings will solve all your issues. I have replied to your Pm

cheers

IT WORKS!

WOW! What a difference! It runs like a dream on the motorway now, no wobbles at all!

I had no idea that a small piece of plastic could make such a difference!

Never underestimate the importance of hub-centric rings! I certainly won't!

Cheers everyone who posted and helped me diagnose the problem

and thanks for the rings Johno!

Phil :D

My car had this when I had the 20" wheels fitted a year ago. It was found that they didn't send the rings with the wheels when they should have, was alot of pissing around but we got there.

Maybe I should try these rings to. My car has had this same sort of issue ever since day 1. I had all tyres done, balanced and wheel alignment, driveshaft and bearings etc replaced, and various suspension parts done. All of which made no difference. Sorry for my ignorance, but is there anyway to tell wether my wheels need them or not? Its an E36 320 with 17" M3 replica rims on it. The problem sounds exactly like this one stated in the thread.

Maybe I should try these rings to. My car has had this same sort of issue ever since day 1. I had all tyres done, balanced and wheel alignment, driveshaft and bearings etc replaced, and various suspension parts done. All of which made no difference. Sorry for my ignorance, but is there anyway to tell wether my wheels need them or not? Its an E36 320 with 17" M3 replica rims on it. The problem sounds exactly like this one stated in the thread.

With calipers - measure the OD of the hub flange & the ID of the wheel

There are a lot of "wheel importers" out there that don't specify the correct CB when they get wheels. I would say your wheels will either be a 73.2 or 74.1 CB. If the are 74.1 it is just a matter of fitting locating rings. If they are 73.2 you will have to get the wheels machined out to 74 and then retrofit locating rings, as you can't make rings that are .5mm thick. As mentioned above, take a wheel off and measure the centre.

I am actually surprised that the guys who did the tyres didn't pick up on it straight away. :)