Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

Towie Tow a Towie to Tow a Car

the tow truck was illegally parked?

classic

It's the same tow truck company!!!

It's not hard to work out

nice to see tey are doing it right and using dollies......never seen a new zealand outfit use em.....

nice to see tey are doing it right and using dollies......never seen a new zealand outfit use em.....

I think you will find in Wellington, Collins, Porirua City Towing, and Harbour City Towing have dollies on their trucks....only required with Auto's or 4WD when you cant get the axles to free wheel.

A lot of the towing is done with Rollbacks....less damage than this style of tow truck.

The company's are more likely to use the dollies, cos it saves on Insurance claims later

so would they use em on a auto toyota corolla if they towed it like this????.Whats a rollback?

Edited by kiwi535

Rollback is the sliding deck tow truck. Like PCT and HCT use. Deck rolls off the end of the chassis.

Deck moves off the chassis to give around a 11 degree entry angle.

Makes it easy to load completely destroyed cars (like Brock's Commodore, at one of the street races :D )

The deck is usually flat plate....ie slippery, that way you can pick up a locked car modern car (with deadlocks) with no damage, and you dont need to open the car.

Only problem is they dont work for carpark snatching....not enough room to operate the truck....other reason for dollies...cant open the car...need the dollies to move a vehicle with locked wheels!

U a towie? u seem very 'informed'

Rollback is the sliding deck tow truck. Like PCT and HCT use

even with wet tyres i drove my car up onto the back of a pct rollback...another advantage of lsd..dont ask me why i needed a tow truck........

Thats a japanese car right? Well there you go.

Jokes.. i think im biased towards BMW

pfft, wash your mouth out!!!!!!!

looks like a praking towaway, the non "jap crap" american towtruck has bitten it hard and needs a tow tho...

jap= :thumb:

I've had use of the sliding deck towie recently, I had to specify one when I rang them since my car wasn't moveable :)

I think if I had to be towed it would HAVE to be by one of those sliding deck trucks again, being towed like htat pic above is just embarassing :)

U a towie? u seem very 'informed'

No I'm not a towie

My wife's father built PCT's (and most of their old tow trucks!) and some of HCT's rollbacks (from photos of the Aussie rollbacks, he's fairly clever when it comes to engineering....good kiwi bloke), so I've got a wee bit of knowledge on them

its funny trying to watch someone tow a new 7er and they cant work out where the hand break is unitl they realise there isnt one as such that you can just click the button and your done and hav to put dollies on it , you can see how frustrated they get

I always how they "break in" to our BMWs...

especially e36, e39, etc... they all have deadlock system in the door.

Once the door is lock, you can't even open from inside.

I always how they "break in" to our BMWs...

especially e36, e39, etc... they all have deadlock system in the door.

Once the door is lock, you can't even open from inside.

Depends where the lock control is situated....at least one of the German Euros...either Merc or BMW....can be opened by a very flexible hand going under the inner guard and removing a relay!....I know the E34's is inside the rear seat cavity...so not quite as easy.

As already mentioned one of the advantages of the rollback is that with a slippery deck you can drag a car thats locked onto the deck...otherwise thats what wheels dollies are for.

One of the trucks they use in the UK for plucking illegally parked cars is a side loader....again you can pick the car up without having to open it

I'm guessing its easier for the company to moved a locked car...saves on the claims about the stolen jackets, stereo's etc later....

If any of you are ever stuck in Thames, do anything in your powers to avoid using Thames Towing.

Thames Towing = savage rip off + more damage

you can get into a e36, lost my keys once in Palmy

locksmith had the right tool as he had the BMW account

still took him 3 and a half hours though, just to get into it

then another 4 to get the barrell out and get a key cut

that was a fun day