Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

clay bars

I bought Mothers claybar and wax kit from Repco for $50.00 with a trade card so would be around $60.00. Haven't heard the brand on trademe before? I recommend Mothers, did a hell of a job!

Get the Mother's kit, it now comes with two claybars and the detailing spray. Think I got the last one for about $50 (but was on special at Repco I think)

I also got the Mother's Clay Detailing kit, scored mine for $39.00 - Should've bought two in retrospect...

But can't recommend highly enough, I still use the detailing spray regularly as well.

Edit:

Bought at Repco on special

Edited by Tristan

Once done with the clay baring you can use the spray and a microfiber cloth to detail the car further, i just went and bought some more detail spray wax, different brand though, and redid the whole car, helps to have fairly new paint too ;)

Mothers yellow or Meguiars white, stay the f**k away from Meguiars Blue.. looks like that stuff above.

Detailing spray is good but overkill and a waste of money for the job, if it’s a one off its not so bad but when you are doing it regularly it can mount up. I use a solution of dishwashing liquid and water to keep the panel slippery. Dishwashing liquid is great for removing old wax/dirt whatever.

Also how bad is the paint? Clay is only really needed for heavily soiled paint IMHO. If its just a bit of tar and a few bugs I would just use a tar and bug remover where needed and go straight to polishing/cutting after a good wash with detergent.

I have an account with Mothers so if you don’t need the clay kit today or this weekend I could get you one next week and sent it to you at cost, I have my own car to do and need a few bits and bobs.

No the paint is pretty good.

few swirl marks in the clearcoat the odd stonechip and baked on bug splatter on the front.

just everyone keeps on about about clay bars...

No the paint is pretty good.

few swirl marks in the clearcoat the odd stonechip and baked on bug splatter on the front.

just everyone keeps on about about clay bars...

Buy one and find out for yourself.

All a clay bar does is safely and un-abrasively take built up contaminants, it’s no good for tar or bird sh*t and it won’t correct swirl marks and make anything shiny and it wont bake you a cake or service your missus.

Without seeing your cars paint it’s hard to know if it needs it, I would give it a go in any witch case as the more sh*t you can remove the less likely swirl marks when you get to phase 2, polishing.

Most important thing is removing as much crap as possible before you use the clay bar, buy some turtle wax Tar & Bug remover and do the sills and bumpers, give them a good dousing and leave for a couple of mins, then wipe off with pressure.

Are you using a machine polisher?

Yup I have a machine polisher for the once a year cut & polish she gets.

Sounds like it's probably a waste of $$ for me considering it gets a weekly wash and hides in a garage under a soft cover.

If your car is this clean, you should be able to run your back of hand over your paintwork and should feel the same as you run your hand over window glass.

Tried Mother and Meguiars retail clay bar kit, both good. I can't tell any difference between the two in terms of results. I do agree with Apex about using dish wash liquid solution instead of the detailing spray, as the clay bar will last 2-3 cars (depends on how big and how dirty your cars are), where the spray in the kit will last 1-2 cars.

What should I use for bug blood (i hope?) splattered all over my front bumper? Bug and tar remover? Where do I get it?

Tar and glue, repco have their own branded stuff, it does work.

If your car is this clean, you should be able to run your back of hand over your paintwork and should feel the same as you run your hand over window glass..

This.

I clay mine every 6 months just because it feels awesome to have such smooth paint.

Clay bars are fantastic. I highly recommend Mothers for EVERYTHING

I did a full Mothers clay bar and three stage system a couple of months ago and paint now looks like this (photo from cell phone, no special HDR tricks etc):

Posted Image