Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

e30 wont move, need help

Hey Guys,

Ive managed to fix up cooling system and the AFM and my car has know presented another problem. I was turning left and went to accelerate and car rattled and vibrated. Then pulled over and tried to take off again and noise got even louder and more violent. I got the car home and jacked up the back of it. I put it in gear and let clutch out, i could still hear the noise but was quiet compared to what it was on the road. I have included a video that could have saved you reading all this:

(you can hear the noise the best from 19 seconds - 30 seconds)

Might also add - When i brought the car it used to shake quite badly at 100k and i never thought much of it. I got tyres alligned and balance and didnt make a difference. Prior to todays incident the shaking had been alot worse and would even occur at 50k.

Cheers

Mitchell

Edited by Mitch Wakefield

CSB/Guibo/Tranny Mounts.

Replace them.

also if it was vibrating from under the car the drive shaft might not be aligned properly.

Edited by antil33t

Fuuu, Thought you had it jacked up on gravel and in gear driving, Was thinking what a tool aha.

Look for play in the middle hanger bearing and probably the rubber coupling between gearbox and driveshaft has shagged itself aswell. That or the bolts are loose / gone :)

I'll add to the check list:

Check the rear axle bolts on the diff end

Edited by *Glenn*

as above. didnt notice anything wierd looking when you changed the gearbox oil? (guess who brought a syringe the other day :P )

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

gidday mitchell

diagnosis over you tube is a little difficult

come and see me and I'll have a look for you

Jon

gidday mitchell

diagnosis over you tube is a little difficult

come and see me and I'll have a look for you

Jon

Hey Jon,

That would be good, but the car is undriveable.. But once i get it driveable i will drop it in :)

I degreased the bolts that connect the driveshaft and couldnt tighten them anymore as they were already tight. There was a circle rubber thing that is sitting ontop of the driveshaft just as it exits the gearbox and it is loose and i am able to move it 2-3cm to any side. Is this normal? I will post some photos of it shortly

Cheers

Mitchell

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first image is the rubber circle thing in its normal place, and the second picture shows me moving it

Nope not normal, Did you check the center hanger bearing? Try wiggle the driveshaft up/down side/side it shouldn't have any play. If the rubber's torn then you'll need to change that too.

*edit* Yup that coupling is gone.. You can see it's ripped destroyed.

Edited by e30ftw

Cheers Guys really appreciate it :) When back wheels are off the ground only 1 wheel spins is that usual?

Cheers Guys really appreciate it :) When back wheels are off the ground only 1 wheel spins is that usual?

Yeah that is because you have an open diff. If you had an LSD and it was single spinning then that would a concern..

Missing bolts that is not good, Is the driveshaft even bolted to the gearbox now? Looks like the driveshaft is bolted to the coupling but the gearbox isn't joined haha :blink:

Edited by e30ftw

Yeah that is because you have an open diff. If you had an LSD and it was single spinning then that would a concern..

Missing bolts that is not good, Is the driveshaft even bolted to the gearbox now? Looks like the driveshaft is bolted to the coupling but the gearbox isn't joined haha :blink:

Driveshaft is mounted to the coupling and the coupling isnt going to the gearbox. This should do the trick right?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=348215422

Yes thats the one, But check the middle hanger bearing too. It's most likely to be f*cked aswell if the driveshaft was wobbling about so you will still have the wobbles and it ain't good for the driveshaft and u-joints.

Yes thats the one, But check the middle hanger bearing too. It's most likely to be f*cked aswell if the driveshaft was wobbling about so you will still have the wobbles and it ain't good for the driveshaft and u-joints.

Yeah will do :) Cheers for your help

get someone to pop in on monday I've got bolts and guibo ready for you.

get someone to pop in on monday I've got bolts and guibo ready for you.

Got the car going today :) its alot better and doesnt seem to vibrate now