Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Anyone recommend a good sub for E39?

I've got the 10 speaker set-up in my E39 which is good but it lacks bass. Can anybody recommend an affordable (-$500) set up?

There's the High End Stuff like Soundstream and Pioneer pro champion series which I think is more than $500 but it's very good quality, then there's the Fusion or Sony setup. Those are cheap but lacks the "thump" you get from the more expensive stuff. I had a Sony setup a while ago it had pretty decent bass but you can't feel it. I've got the Pioneer set up at the moment and have never looked back.

Depends what you listen to.

Boom boom: Soundstream - in a custom made ported box

Sound quality: Infinity - box or freeair (make sure you select the correct speaker if you free air it)

Min 10" if you like to hit the really low hertz something like a 15" would be the way to go.

12" are good allrounders. In 10" or 12" I would use two speakers, 15" you can get away with 1.

Always buy the best quality you can afford, especially if you like to turn it up and enjoy it.

There are plenty other brands inbetween, but those would be the best. IMO anyway.

Edited by M5V8

I've got 12inch custom ported box

cant remenber brand of the sub but its 2000rms

If you need any help installing the amp/sub to the factory amp give me a yell

Ill do it for nice box of beers

A 10 year old Earthquake from back in the day when Earthquake was quality, had a Kicker amp but never swapped it, the old Earthquake was a goodie even at 400wRMS.

Have all anyone will need to do a top quality Amp install for sale too, once again never used it, cost me a bloody fortune even at cost.

That box is designed for a E30 Touring and is stanch as hell with a massive port, for a single 10†it goes hard, harder than most average two twelve set ups.

Edited by Apex

I have mine for sale. Goes really well. Got a ski port?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.as...953&ed=true

there you go mate. Pro built box, ported, within your budget. Then you just need a decent amp.

Plus I'm sure you will be allow to hear the thing before you buy, VERY important in a second hand sub

hmm ... i think he meant 500 is the total setup limit tho .... good amps don't come cheap.

With 10 speakers the sound quality should already be good enough, if you just want alittle more bass a fusion setup could be within your budget. And it won't be secondhand.

Have got x2 12 inch JBL subs in my e46, quite good comparing to other more expensive sound systems.

Honestly.....I was looking for a good set of subs yesterday for you.

Honestly I was....

Then I saw these...http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=351899242

and well,....they were too good to pass up..so I bought them.

:rolleyes:

I'll tell you how good they are when I get them installed.

Honestly.....I was looking for a good set of subs yesterday for you.

Honestly I was....

Then I saw these...http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=351899242

and well,....they were too good to pass up..so I bought them.

:rolleyes:

I'll tell you how good they are when I get them installed.

nice! hope they fit between the wheel arches!

yeah...I've had a bit of experience installing soundoff systems so if they don't I'll just modify the box to suit.

Should give a good boost in the bass stakes. I think I'll retain the factory setup for when I need the boot space.

best of both worlds.

I had a soundstream 10" in my e39 and was plenty loud enough. meant I could reduce the amount of bass going through the main speakers and they sounded much better

I had a soundstream 10" in my e39 and was plenty loud enough. meant I could reduce the amount of bass going through the main speakers and they sounded much better

Did you just use the factory amp mike?

factory amp for speakers, used a small class d alpine amp for the sub, 350rms from memory. I looked at changing the speakers and amps but decided it wasn't worth messing too much with it as I wasnt planning on having the car that long.

the audio system is not that flash considering what the cars would have cost new

Mine has the two factory 10"s I'm hoping the factory amp has enough juice to do these new infinity 10"s justice.

I guess I'll find out.

I've still got some Image Dynamics ID12 left from when I was importing them. $150 each (brand new). They were the entry level ID sub (RRP was around $400 from memory) and are on a rough par with the best of what Alpine and Soundstream produce sound quality wise. They're rated at 250rms but will happily handle about 500rms. They also suit infinite baffle so if boot space is an issue then IB is a good way to get around it.