Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

Z3 1.9 running very rich.

I have a mate down here with a 96-7 Z3 1.9 auto, it's a Jap import and has recently had major work done due to a crash, which looked like a truck drove over the front.

It's been eating the petrol like nobodies business, similar amounts to my old Rover P6B V8....

Now he purchased the car damaged so we are unsure if this is a result of the crash. He also has another nigh on identical Z so we know it's being obnoxiously hungry.

What would be a suspect? I was thinking an 02 sensor, but, it's a bit extreme for that. Would it be the FPR? The vacuum line has been replaced, but, is there a chance the Vac line could be pinching?

Anyone had any experiences like this?

Cheers guys

You need to start with a scan first, then check live data readings and proceed with further diagnosis from that point

Unfortunately he refuses to take the damn thing to a dealer, he got shafted last time for $2500 to replace a sump gasket and 02 sensor on his other Z3.

I'll try talk him into it, though. Thanks Glenn.

Anyone down your way with a good scanner & a brain ??

The only lot I can think of would be Jeff Grey in Palmy. I have a mate with a decent scanner, but, is BMW specific equipment needed? (I highly doubt it...)

If the scanner will read the BMW, you will then have to rely on the person using it. If he is not BMW knowledgeable you might end up frustrated and wasting money.

He is fair BMW literate, but, only with the 6 cyls to my knowledge, which is my problem also, I hate the 4 cyls with a passion.

check engine temp sensor and wiring to it . also afm (maf ) these often fail also check wiring around it , as it may have been damaged when it got smashed in the front .

these 2 things will affect the fuel richness the most

Used to take my E36 to Brian Bate Motors in PN when I was there, Always good service. They no BMWS.

Thanks dude, will mention that to my mate

check engine temp sensor and wiring to it . also afm (maf ) these often fail also check wiring around it , as it may have been damaged when it got smashed in the front .

these 2 things will affect the fuel richness the most

Ah, that reminds me, the temp gauge reads low on the open road. It will get to the middle if you are sitting in traffic with no airflow.

Thatnks Brent, I'll check them out!

Ah, that reminds me, the temp gauge reads low on the open road. It will get to the middle if you are sitting in traffic with no airflow.

The symtoms of a faulty thermostat, which will also cause poor fuel economy, but not noticeable richness from the exhaust. As I said before .. get it scanned first... trying this & trying that will get you no where

The symtoms of a faulty thermostat, which will also cause poor fuel economy, but not noticeable richness from the exhaust. As I said before .. get it scanned first... trying this & trying that will get you no where

I'll go give him the word that it needs diagnosing.

Another thing, are the early Jap Z3 the M43 or 44? They seem pretty damn gutless, so I would think the 43? I'm asking incase I need to find parts. How do you tell the 43 and 44 apart?

Ugh, I hate 4cyl BMWs without an "S" in the engine number... :angry:

m43 singlecam m44 twincam .

have not seen a z3 in nz with m43 engine . most are m44 1.9L twincam.

looks like this

like glen said get it scanned first , doesn't take long and can save alot of time and money , unless the guy knows what he is doing , but then he wouldn't be asking here.

thermo sensor is a 4poll type , 2 pins for the temp gauge and 2 pins for the ecu (so it knows what type the engine is and adjust the fuel corretly)

M42 pre 96 & M44 after late 1996. Chassis number would tell me

It's a late 96 or early 97 as it has T/C, so must be an M44. They seem to drain a huge amount of the measly 103(?)kw through the auto trans...

m43 singlecam m44 twincam .

have not seen a z3 in nz with m43 engine . most are m44 1.9L twincam.

looks like this

like glen said get it scanned first , doesn't take long and can save alot of time and money , unless the guy knows what he is doing , but then he wouldn't be asking here.

thermo sensor is a 4poll type , 2 pins for the temp gauge and 2 pins for the ecu (so it knows what type the engine is and adjust the fuel corretly)

It's a twin cam. What kind of voltage will I be looking for at correct operating temp, or resistance when hot/cold?

He's not too clued up on injected engines and I know nothing about the BMW 4cyls (Nor do I want to know :P )

The scanner using fault codes & live data does this measuring more accurately

I would imagine so, but, I have the use of our oscilloscope (I just want to play...)

But, as I said I'll tell him to do it properly. It's not worth the rigmarole of guessing games and getting parts shipped etc