Sign in to follow this  
330itis

Where can I find the (E) stamp on an e46 m3

Im looking for the emissions rating stamp on an e46 m3. Its usualy a capital "E" and a number (E12 or something like that) In a circle. Im sure Ive seen this on my older cars but where is it on an e46 m3?

Reason being is I need the number after the E for compliance. Or maybe someone has an that can tel me what their E stamp says?

Thanks

There's E-stamp everywhere in a BMW. E-mark certification mainly refers to electronics and electrical items in a car. E12 is Austria. Germany is E1.

What exactly are you looking for in terms of compliance? Isn't there you can ask BMW for a letter for this?

Ive tried Team Mc Millan and they have never heard or had a clue what I was talking about. Couldnt even tell me if it meets euro 3 emission standards. I was told by the compliance guys Im looking for a capital E with a 2 or 3 digit number after it in a circle. I dont have the car here so I have to tel this guy where to look for it. I would have assumed a tag in the engine bay or in the door jamb. Would need to get more specific tho.

bonnet struts have e46 printed on them

The marking you are referring to is the european type approval marking and is done on an individual component basis. Every item that is legally regulated is required to have one before the car is able to be registered in the EU (and other countries). This means that the lights, cats, brake hoses, tyres, muffler etc, etc, etc will all have an E mark visible on them somewhere to show that they meet the legal requirements. The numbers after the (E) are the individual certification number - it is unique to one family of products.

The car itself doesn't have an (E) mark - only the components that go into it, and even if the exhaust has an E mark it doesn't guarantee an emissions rating (it is only one component that goes into the emissions system).

The car itself doesn't have an (E) mark - only the components that go into it, and even if the exhaust has an E mark it doesn't guarantee an emissions rating (it is only one component that goes into the emissions system).

There is a "default" level of compliance that is given to each vehicle, which basically says that unless stated otherwise all components on the vehicle meet a base standard, there is a technical term for this but it escapes me at the moment. This vehicle compliance code will be stamped on the plate on the front strut which has the VIN number on it, probably stamped underneath.

However, it is possible that the vehicle compliance code may not state that it meets Euro 3, it may be a lower specification as the default. In which case you would need to get hold of the vehicle certificate of compliance which has a whole lot more detail on it, and will state specifically the Euro emissions level.