Sign in to follow this  
Apex

batercard

A big customer of mine uses bartercard and I am thinking about becoming a member.

Have many of you used/use batercard and how have you found it.

Cheers

Somebody offered to pay for my last car using it. I had a look and seemed annoying so I flagged.

I find it works well if you use alot of services on a regular basis, no cash outlay helps as well when starting a new business we used it with advertising/business cards etc...

A friend of mine in my industry was trying to get me to join a couple of years ago but I resisted at the time as you end up with lots of Barter dollars and limited places to spend them. Recently he has hinted that my move was the correct one as he ends up spending the Barter dollars on things he doesn't really need.

The question to ask yourself is if you don't join, will your customer shop elsewhere or is he trying to get you to join so he can use up some of his Barter dollars ??? With cash, you can buy your goods anywhere. With Barter dollars, you are restricted. Just my 5c worth :)

We get people offering this in property all the time. "No thanks, real money is fine".

Thanks for the input guys, have had the same story from anyone I know who has been involved.

Will mull its over some more but at $950 just to join its not becoming any more appealing.

I looked at it a year or two ago and found there wasn't a great deal of benefit for us. A mate of mine owning his own building and plumbing company took it up and he's got several thousand dollars of batercard dollars which nothing to really spend them on. This is no rubbish, but the local strip club here in Dunedin accepts them and he blew $1500 one night on tips and drinks just to get rid of some of them.

you end up with lots of Barter dollars and limited places to spend them.

This. Company I work for use them any part of our sales incentives are paid in barter dollars. Find it very hard to spend them so end up buying stuff I otherwise wouldn't.

If you could spend them at the supermarket or petrol station it would be useful.

Yea my bank doesn't take Batercard as payment either.

Offering part Batercard as payments may get me jobs I normally wouldn't though so i'm looking at it as a "better than no job at all" option.

It does look like it may be hard to move the points though.

For larger payments it seems common for people to do part payment on barter and the balance in cash. Cash is always king, and everyone knows that, but there must be advantages somehow to being in barter or else it wouldn't be so popular.

no point in barter card. you dont get any real benifits as you cannot cash the points up at any time so ur stuck with them. aunty and uncle did it with there business and got stuffed up bigtime as there supplier did not accept barter points. they could sell stock but not buy new stock in the end

I think the biggest problem is that people are not proactive in spending them.

For larger payments it seems common for people to do part payment on barter and the balance in cash. Cash is always king, and everyone knows that, but there must be advantages somehow to being in barter or else it wouldn't be so popular.

That’s the thing, there are not that many members, only 7000, witch isn’t that many when you look at how many businesses there are in NZ.

Im reasonably clued up as to the pros and cons, you would need to be proficient in accounting for it to work well I would think.

New business from witch will pay part payments in cash and provide more word of mouth work.

Hmmm. No GST on Bartercard and earnings don't go towards gross income.

Its all a bit tricky to make work, lots of paper work also.

Im thinking if I get an extra 8 hours of production work a week from it I normally wouldn't get It will be worth it.

Need to run it all past a good accountant.

New business from witch will pay part payments in cash and provide more word of mouth work.

Hmmm. No GST on Bartercard and earnings don't go towards gross income.

Its all a bit tricky to make work, lots of paper work also.

Im thinking if I get an extra 8 hours of production work a week from it I normally wouldn't get It will be worth it.

Need to run it all past a good accountant.

why nogst sureky you still have to do thr prpaerwork.....ird can assess income e includin there estiamate of wjat the bartercard transcaction would have been wirth.

Edited by kiwi535

Are you drunk?

Thanks for your input guys.

quite a few years ago my dad used to use it and for him it was good. He would sell advertising which cost him nothing and in return get the points. MOST if not all of the bartercard dollars would go on trips away, accommodation, food etc. The trick is you dont discount at all if its via bartercard and you dont use it if it costs you anything except for loss opportunity to sell your product or service.