Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

Electric fans

Hey guys,

I've been googling for a while and havn't come up with a decent answer.

I am looking into removing my mechanical fan and replacing with an electric one.

However, i'm unsure if I should go for one larger fan or two smaller sized ones, what is your opinion on this?

Cheers,

Ian

Work it out in terms of area,

Find the biggest single fan you can fit, and the biggest twin fans you can fit and compare the areas ( Pi x r(^2) ) Go for max coverage of your radiator and you cant really go wrong. Single fan usually comes out on top.

Stuff like blade design and rpm will effect the amount of air moved, but its still apples to apples if your using decent fans.

The easiest way to wire em up, depending on amp draw, is a Davis Craig thermoswitch doofa. The switch is rated for 20A, so you can run most fans without a relay and its adjustable from like 40C-100C.

rewire the ac fan and use a lower temp sensor on the radiator from a e36 318ti so the fan cuts in earlier .

can shwo you how if you like

One large one I reckon - the bigger fans move more CFM (if you look at specs), probably because one 14" fan has roughly the same total coverage area as two 10" fans but less unutilised area due to the motor.

Cheers.

I ended up purchasing a 14" fan as this was the largest I could fit. And decided it was cheaper and I don't think another fan would've made that much of a difference (proven right by your comments it seems).

Ian