Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

1983 E30 Engine Question

Got a car in not so good condition cosmetically but the engine in it is a bit different from anything i've seen in an E30. Posted Image Its a 1.8 1983 318L according to the rego. Has no ECU and it has a very wierd looking injection setup on it. It seems to have a mechanical injection type setup on it. I found this on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugelfischer but not sure if I would be correct in saying that it is a motor from a 2002tii and then eventually the M1.

The speedo cluster in the car also has a green line on it, from 1k-5.5k not sure why but the cluster hasnt been opened. Never seen this before either. Posted Image

Bizarre car. Any info appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Never seen it on e30 before, but looks to be the same design as the e21's had.

Mechanical fuel injection, must have a normal type disy with points and condensor.

More pics please?is it NZ new, tourist delivery or import second hand??

NZ new by the looks, was first reg'd in 09/83 here but has had a plate swap at some stage.

Runs really well, pulling the motor this arvo.

Also, havn't obviously got it out yet but would be interesting to know what gbox is behind it (Manual)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by KSMYRS

Looks like a k-jetronic m10, similar to an e21 as mentioned above

Def' an M10 motor!

K jetronic is the type i was thinking of, unusual!

Looks like a k-jetronic m10, similar to an e21 as mentioned above

This is what I thought, strip on cluster looks like those alpina style decals some members got in a while ago?

Would k Jet not require injectors an ECU though?

There is no ECU at all anywhere.

Edited by KSMYRS

It's all mechanical and no ECU required. I don't know any more than this however :)

Okay.. Will wait to see if anyone else chimes in.

Are they sought after these days?

I would personally say no. My mate had one hell of a time trying to get his one tuned right.

Someone more knowledgeable might be able to let you know though

Yep K jetronic (mechanical) & yes M10 engine. Same injection as Benz & Audi of that era. My 86 Audi Quattro Coupe had this system & worked without issue in the nine yrs we had it

I haven't seen an M10 E21 to know but I would say this is probably a carry over from that. The M20 E21 was Solex four barrel carb - as was my E12 originally

Definitely a K-jet, mechanical fuel injection, no ecu. The engine could be a transplant from an E21, the gearbox I assume is a 5 speed and is similar and interchangeable with that from an E30. The speedo dial looks like a E21 speedo with the green band and you may find then that the speedo is driven from the gearbox (as in a E21) rather than from the diff. If this is the case then a possible scenario is that the engine and gearbox have been replaced with a E21 one and because of the mechanical speedo drive, the speedo dial had to be changed as well. Interesting! I think the Kjet required a much higher fuel pressure level too.

All in all, if its not an E21 and I am pretty sure BMW didn't have Kjet in E30's, then someone might have gone to great lengths to keep this old girl running.

Edited by OP6

Its been pulled apart completely now, no sensor in gearbox so the box is def from the e30 m10. Odd ball engine tho. pretty sure its been used as a replacement. Ran pretty well.

100$ to a bimmersport member def dont want to see it go to scrap

Still yet to workout exactly what kind of car it was originally from tho .

post-271-1300328333.jpg

post-271-1300328364.jpg

it is K-jetronic , also used in very early e28 518i and 520i etc.

pretty yukky system , no many people know what to do with them when they fault etc.